Hello! I have visited my doctor few days ago because I have tonsillitis (I did not know that then) and she prescribed me antibiotics. I do not know that anyone else ever put on antibiotics for tonsillitis except me. Can you tell me why she did this? Have you ever had experience like this? Thank you very much!

Hello! In the past I have used once antibiotics for healing tonsillitis. I can tell you that your doctor has not made mistake, because according to prescribed treatment you have tonsillitis caused by bacteria. I can tell you that tonsillitis is caused probably by streptococcus or staphylococci bacteria. There are also cases (very rare) when tonsillitis causes pneumococci or hemophilus bacteria.

Hallo,
Tonsillitis is swelling and infection of your tonsil glands. The fact is that infection can be bacterial and viral. Most doctors will prescribe you antibiotics to clear out the infection out of your mouth. you have to understand that this is normal treatment method and this is also one of most efficient treatment methods for tonsillitis. I am not sure if there are there treatment options except surgery where you will have to remove your tonsils in order to prevent any further tonsil infections. I don’t know if your doctor suggested this as an option? The antibiotics will clear the infection in several days but sometimes the infection can be cleared on its own by our body’s immune system