:'( HI MY NAME IS RENEA AND I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD NEPHEW WHOS JUST BEEN REALLY SICK LATELY..... WE WERE TOLD HIS APPENDIX WAS BAD..SO HE HAD SURGERY REMOVED APPENDIX AD WE THOUGHT HE WOULD GET BETTER BUT INSTEAD JUST THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED,HE LOST MORE WAIT..HE USED TO BE 162 LBS AND NOW WEIGHS 130.... U CAN SEE HIS RIBS HES SO SMALL... AND HES OVER FIVE FOOT TALL AND HES A FOOTBALL PLAYER...SO AFTER THE APPENDIX SURGERY WE WENT BACK TO THE DOCTOR CAUSE HES STILL LOOSING WEIGHT AND EVERYTIME HE EATS HE GOES TO THE BATHROOM #2...... SO THEY DID A CAT SCAN AND SAID HIS LYMPH NODES IN HIS STOMACH ARE SWOLLEN........ I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THIS MEANS BUT I KNOW HE'S SICK ALL THE TIME .... HES WEAK.... HE NEVER WANTS TO DO ANYTHING..AND LIKE ISAID EARLIER HES A FOOTBALL PLAYER.. HE USED TO LOVE THE OUTDOORS...CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND FIND OUT WHAT IT MEANS FOR THE LYMPH NODES TO BE SWOLLEN IN YOUR STOMACH CAUSE APPARENTLY EVEN THE DOCTORE CANT GIVE ME ANYYYY ANSWERS PLEASE HELP ME THANKS SO MUCH ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREAT.... ;-)

Hi Renea,

Without more information we can't say what is wrong with your nephew. Swollen lymph nodes sometimes indicate an infection.

It may or may not be serious.

With all due respect, if he's your nephew the doctors should not give you any information. It is out of privacy issues.

and i totally get that but his mom asked me to ask for answers they are not even telling her anything except they are swollen......his mom is my sister so we are super close and i just wanna know what it could be... but thanks for your concern

like i said his mom is my sister and im always with her when he goes to the dr... it worries me because everytime he eats he goes to the bathroom and hes lost 30 lbs never wants to do anything anymore im very concerned cause iveresearched the lymph nodes and it confuses me....so ANY ANSWERS IS HELPFUL

They may not know the cause yet. Are they running tests?

They have ran cat scan , an mri , and an ultrasound... they even sent him to Birmingham to do a colonostephy... the dr in Birmingham said he couldnt see his lymph nodes...soo what was the point of doing it????? We live in Enterprise but we use doctors out of Dothan... but we have just got sent from one place to another without any answers... but all i can tell yoou is this child has changed dramatically ...

Sometimes its not what you see but what you don't see that is important. It could be that any swelling has gone down. All we can do is take this out of context.

Do you mean "colonoscopy?" It seems as though they are focusing on his lower GI tract. Have they done any biopsies? Is he on any meds? Specifically any antibiotics?

I know it is difficult to wait but it can take time for them to find out what is wrong with your nephew.

Keep us posted.

no sir they havent biospied any of it.... they did do a stool sample but that came back normal also.... it just really scares me how much he has changed in the last few months....every test they have did on Tyler ( that's my nephew) has came back normal.. yet he does have another doctors appointment this week...so again we will have to wait and see.. and you'll never know how much I appreciate you taking time to answer some of my questions.. that goes to show you are a good person..so thanks

Thank you.

If you do get more information, or test results, please post back.

Best wishes for Tyler's speedy recovery.

Hey medic -dan and rjohnson do i have permission to jump on this topic?.....

i was wondering has he has any blood tests done perhaps a Compleat Blood Count (CBC)? specifically focusing in his white blood cell (WB) numbers?

i agree with medic its very difficult to say what is causing this illness and unfortunatly it takes time to figure these things out. I know it seems like an eternity when a loved one is soo sick but please hang in there.
any info you can give us may help any test results or background history. has be been to any tropical countries, or eaten/done anything out of the ordinary in the past week or two?

thanks ;-)

biomajor'10 of course you can jump in Gladly.... The thing is they have done blood tests and everything always comes back normal.. he hasnt been on vacation.... and this has been going on for about 6 months......like i said earlier the doctors were "positive" it was his appendix..but he had surgery and had it removed..so we were like well good now things will go back to normal (because he wasn't eeating good and everytime he ate it hurt him)..slowly he began to get his appetite back..only for a new problem to begin and that was everytime this child eats he goes to bathroom within 15 minutes(not exxagerating) its just that quick..then he started getting weak didnt want to do anything always feels sick to his stomach and hes lost 30 lbs... but his mom has taken him to numerous doctors and they say his lymph nodes in his stomach are swollen..but they cant give us answers to why hes loosing weight, why hes always so tired,and why hes going to bathroom within 15 minutes of EVERYTIME he eats... he does have another doctors apt this week i just pray they can find out what's causing this and fix it..so he can go back to being the bright,funny happy athlectic kid he used to be......

some reason it put my as guest i forgot to sign in i suppose but I thank you guys for even responding that means alot to me

hmmm this is puzzleing,

almost always when someone is suffering from appendicitice (bad appendix) their white bloodcell count is going to be elevated because of the infection. are there cerian foods which make his condition worse (ex: carbs fats acidic foods chocolate ??)
is he still drinking plenty of liquids?

if you have access would you be able to get his blood could test results (values for leukocytes, eosinophils, basophiles neutrophiles ect)

typically, as medic dan said, inflamed lymphnodes indicates some sort of systemic infection in your nephews case probably invoulving his gastrointestinal tract.

Has he had a fever at all? the more clues we have the better chance we have at comming up with some possible causes.
thanks ;-)

yes i could get you the blood test results for you without a problem .. he does drink alot of liquid (always has) he loves water he dosent like drinks because of the caffeine....and thats why its so puzzling to us because everything comes back normal except the cat scan that showed his lymph nodes were swollen....he dosent like chocolate he eats pretty good for a kid his age.... i do know when they first found they were swollen they were gonna biospy it..(cause the doctor said it could be cancer) andd oh my I sure pray its nothing like that...yet the same doctor that took out his appendix was suppose to biospy his lymph nodes while he was in there and yet he didnt... I feel like they are just giving us the run around and it's so frustrating...cause i just want him to be himself again and again i wanna thank you and ill get those test results for you tommoro and ill definitly let you know thanks alot

Hey,

how is Tyler today? does he have a fever? I wish the doctor would have biopsied his lymphnodes when he had his appendix out. I think that the biopsy may hold vital information.

it could be possible that he has something like chrones disease, or ulcerative colitis or some other GI disease. while theos wouldnt make his lymphnodes inflamed they would fit some of his other symptomes. the lymphnoeds may be inflamed due to a seperate condition.

just let me know how he is doing and send the test results when you get them. if you want you can send them via private message but i dont think it would matter much since this whole forum is anamymous ;-)