Hi everyone,

I am a newbie when it comes to depression. I have been diagnosed with depression by my psychologist a week ago, who knows how long have I had it before that. I've noticed that I am having memory problems and that I find it quite hard to concentrate on anything (this is why it is so hard to work now, I am thinking about quitting my job). And my memory is failing hard, like, I cannot even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday and it happens to me so often that I can't remember some words while talking to someone.

I was having the exact same problem while I was suffering from depression. The worst part is that I think that my memory didn't get any better even after I got rid of depression, it is just the same. It is still hard for me to remember some things but on the other hand I might not be trying hard enough to remember these things anyway so I don't know what is going on here really.

I also couldn't concentrate on literally anything while I was suffering from depression, it was horrible, it took me about half a year of psychotherapy to get over it.

I am having the exact same problem but my psychologist told me that this is normal and that it should go away once I get over my depression. He told me that my thoughts won't ever let me concentrate on anything while suffering from depression, they are overwhelming and they won't leave me at peace until I treat depression.

When it comes to memory problems, he told me that it is common too and that it is up to me if it is going to stay like this even after I overcome depression, he told me that I will have to work a bit on it if I want my good old memory back.

This is not good then, guys. Seriously, I cannot focus on anything and I am going to lose my job because of this. It's not just that, if this won't go away until I treat my depression then even if I find another job, I won't be able to focus there either. This is a horrible, horrible situation. I don't care about the memory then, I can worry about that once I overcome depression but I am dependent of my work so if I lose my job, I will literally be without any food. I desperately need to do something about this.

Then you should do whatever you can in order to overcome this (or to learn how to cope with it). For the start you should really start seeing a psychologist. He will then tell you how to proceed with your treatment and which other things you should do. You should also start exercising, running especially, and you should get some friends, you should have some people with who you can go out and have some fun, have a drink or two, or five. Your psychologist will also tell you which medications you should use, you can choose whether or not to use these.

Hi there.

I believe that a lot of people who were suffering from depression had those problems. I had it as well. For example, I remember that it was very hard for me to concentrate when I was reading the book. I didn't know what I was reading at all. It was more like struggling. 

Also, there were a moments when I was not able to remember anything. It doesn't matter was this thing important or not.

I didn't do anything about it, I need to tell you that. This just disappeared on its own. But I am sure that some therapies can help you.

I still have this problem and still is very hard for me to stay focused or to concentrate on certain things that I do. For example, I hate to say that, but I don't read anymore like I did because I have no focus at all. I loved to play some computer games such as strategy, but I don't do this anymore because I can't stay focused and I also have memory problems. Not a lot, thanks God because this would affect my ordinary day at work. I just want to say that somehow I am used to it. When you treat depression, this should be treated as well. 

I was always good student and pupil. I never had any problems to remember something or to concentrate to certain issues. But, when I start to learn for my PhD thesis I notice that I just can't concentrate to certain things and that I am not able to learn so quick anymore. My concentration was so down and I was not able to remember anything. Because of that issue I discovered that I am suffering from depression. I don't know what has happened and why I started to have depression because I didn't have any problem in my life. But, who knows. Tnx God that I was surrounded with good people and doctors who helped me a lot.

Hello. It is, let say, normal. Why? Because an inability to focus when you are suffering from depression is very common. People with depression often suffer from attention and concentration problems and when they are not able to fight it, they seek for some help. That is normal and that usually affects anyone. 

Lack of concentration becomes something normal and usual and people should find a way to deal with it. I did it and sometimes, I admit, I have this problem as well, but I learned how to beat it. 

You can find some useful techniques or ask someone who is an expert to give you some advice.