Hey guys,

I have a question to ask. I remember I've seen topics about spaying and neutering  dogs who were still puppies. I say spaying and neutering because it's not the same, spaying is when we talk about female dogs, and neutering when we talk about male dogs.

Anyway, I know all about spaying and neutering puppies. When to do it, why to do it, how is it done and all the side effects.

But I found this senior dog on the street yesterday and I felt some sort of a connection with him so I took him with me and now I want to neuter him. Do you know if there are any side-effects of neutering a senior dog?

Hey Ruby,

I neutered my dog when he was eight years old and there was no trouble about that.

People usually say that your older dog might get lazy and fat if you do this but that's not really true. The truth is that older dogs, only because they are older, tend to do less exercise and therefore, they become fatter. 

The surgery doesn't carry any risks with it, as long as your vet has checked your dog's condition before he did the surgery. Your dog needs to be healthy in order for the surgery to be done.

The conclusion would be that there are no side effects in this case.

Hey there.

I still think that this depends on breed. Not about the age. My friend neutered her dog when he was very old and nothing happened. Honestly, I don’t know why she did it but that was her choice.

Of course, there are some potential risks but those risks are the same when your dog is a puppy. In both cases your vet should do some exams.

Everyone are saying that it is never too late to neuter your dog. But I don’t see why you should do this. I would not.

I am a little bit against it :/

Hello. I don’t believe that there are side – effect of neutering a senior dog. Actually, I am almost positive that there no are side – effects. You can hear that some people are saying that your dog is going to be lazy and less interested for everything that is around him. Also, you can hear that your dog is going to be fat after neutering. That is not true. Your dog wont’ become lazy or fat because of it. Senior dogs require fewer calories in their ages and they are less active than younger dogs. But if you walk your senior dog every day he will not gain weight or lose his interest in life. There is nothing bad in this procedure. There are a lot of benefits.

Hello everyone.

I hope that you are doing fine. I know that neither one of my friends were complaining about this. A lot of my friends decided to neuter their senior dogs and they were perfectly fine.

True, the recovery was a little bit longer than anyone expected but I believe that the main reason is because they are older and less active.

But generally no side – effects.

Now, if you ask me I would never do that when my dogs comes to certain ages. Especially when he is old. I think that you should not do this now.

Visiting the vet is just fine.

I am wondering the same thing. My boy is 7 years old. He is mainly a healthy dog. I wasn’t very into dogs when my brother got him so I didn’t really know much about neutering and its benefits. Now when I know, I would love to do that and I even went to a vet clinic to ask if they do this type of procedures to older dogs. They said yes, and I was about to take him, but a friend convinced me not to. She says that older dogs tend to form a blood clot during surgery. So I didn’t do it.

Hello guys.

When it comes to older dogs people are usually very skeptical. For a reason. But I think that vet will recommend you to spay your dog if you want it, even if the dog is senior. I believe that there are no rules.

My dad neutered his dog when he was 5 years old. He told me that this procedure won’t make him lazy, fat and that this is a good option because your dog won’t run away trying to find a dog in heat.

I also believe that there are many benefits of this procedure. For example, neutering will guard him against testicular cancer, it will improve his behavior, etc.

Yeah, but what about that blood clot that could form during the surgery? :/ I wonder if that is a real danger or my friend just tried to talk me out of it by saying that. She has a habit of doing that pretty often. But I think that she is not doing that this time, she must have heard that from somebody. And I would not be ready to endanger my dog’s health in any way, even if it means that I will have to put up with his nasty behavior. I can’t stand the idea of something bad happening to him.

Mona I have found this dog about 6 days ago, but believe me I feel like he has been with me for months, at least. He is such a beautiful soul and I would never do anything to hurt him.

It’s just that I’ve neutered my other dogs and I can clearly see the difference in their behavior and their health before and after this procedure. It really has many benefits, and that is why I wanted to do it to this dog too. But if there is even the slightest danger that something might go wrong, I won’t do it.

This is not true my American bulldog has lost all zest for life after neutering he was 10yrs with tumours in both testicles ( benign) so I had to for his well being .. he has really stiff joints now and has no interest in playing or exercise , he gained weight so his food has been adjusted .. I spent thousands of pound at vets trying to find out why he is like he is and every test, X-rays , scans have come back normal .. I'm devastated poor Rocco just sleeps and eats and looks depressed ..

My dog also changed a lot. He too had benign tumours. He now sleeps all the time and is not interested in anything. Plus he put on a lot of weight very quickly. He is a nine year old cocker spaniel

Neutered dogs are more likely to get heart tumor, also there are no guarantee that neutering a dog can prevent prostate cancer, also sex harmoons are helpful to protect different types of cancer.Neutered dogs are also most likely to get none cancer. So important things are you need to feed healthy diet to your dogs and keep everything current. Doctors can think they know everything but they don't. Everything is uncertain in life except death.I had neutered dog and unfettered dog and they all had health problems at the end one way or another. This us bunch of baloney when you go to see a vet , first question they ask you if your dog in neutered or not. Surgery give them more money so why not neutered every dog young or old or dead. Their job is to provide service and they should not be pushing for anything .

I just took a 10 yr old dog to vet. He was having drips of blood and turns out to be infected prostate. Which is common in older male dogs that are NOT neutered. They develop more problems from not neutering it seems. Enlarged and infected prostate. Is def a reason to do it. Can also be acute which is dangerous and chronic. It causes loss of appetite, pain and problems going to bathroom. So doing it soon.

My male dog is 17....6 pound Chihuahua. Had his first bladder infection. I was told sperm backed up in to his blader and caused infection. And this could keep happening unless i get him neutered. Your Opinio please I really do not want to do this. .

Father vet says intact male dogs are at greater risk for testicular cancer and neutering them removes that risk. I personally would not want my dog to go through cancer. We have been through it and it is devastating