Hi, I have heard that aromatherapy has become very popular in the last couple of years. I know that the aromatherapy products are used as beauty products and that the massages with essential oils are great for relaxation and stress relief. However, I had no idea that nowadays aromatherapy is used in medical purposes as well. I was wondering for what kind of illnesses aromatherapy can be used.

Hi, aromatherapy has been used in eastern cultures for medical purposes for centuries. Maybe it is new to us, but in the rest of the world people have been enjoying the benefits of aromatherapy for a very long time. The essential oils, which are the basic component in aromatherapy, are made out of plants and are rich in ingredients that have healing capabilities. Therefore, the use of aromatherapy in medical purposes should not be such a surprise. This type of therapy can be used for treatment of various conditions. Asthma, depression, arthritis, anxiety and pain are just some of them. For some of the conditions essential oils are used as inhalers, while others respond better to aromatherapy massages. In modern medicine aromatherapy is not used on its own, but rather as a complement to standard treatment. This combination gives the best results.