Hello there. Today, I was just relaxing in front of my TV, when my mom called me. She was upset, she was crying…. She couldn’t talk, so I went to see her at her home. When I went there, Luly was not there. That is her dog, she is 2 years old. She told me that she is at the vet’s because she was diagnosed with Addison’s disease. I do know how much she means to her, so I really need to know what are treatment options of Addison’s disease in dogs?

Any experience in here? We are upset!

Tnx in advance. 

Hey. She must be feeling awful. Because, this disease is not something to be taken without any concern. If the dog is at the vet’s place, I believe that he knows how to treat it, right? It is medical emergency. I think that in this case your pet will receive fluids and short – acting, cortisol, such as dexamethasone. If there is something else, I believe that the vet will prescribe daily medications. Some pets can be treated with Percorten V injections every three or four weeks. Don’t run with conclusions, go to the vet and see what he is going to tell you. 

I had the case around me, when the dog died from Addison’s disease :/ That is so sad. I don’t have experience with it, but I think that this is treated with fludrocortisone  or with injection Percorten V. Of course, blood work is necessary to see in what stage is disease, and what dose vet should give to the dog. Most of the medications are used in therapy, so you should count on medications as well. I know that this is really stressful situation, but don’t be afraid, please. Most dogs with Addison’s disease have an excellent prognosis after treatment. I hope that this will be the same in her case. 

I was just about to start a topic similar to this one. I am so worried about my dog. I know nothing about Addison’s and I’ve heard that it is a very serious disease. I’ve heard that some dogs actually die because of it. But that is very rare right? Especially now when our vets are more specialized than ever.I would also like to know everything about the treatment. I took my dog to the vet but he didn’t want to tell me anything until he sees the results of some tests.I don’t know much about the treatment. He told me he will take care of it, but he never mentioned Percorten V injections. Was he supposed to? 

Hello.

I firmly believe that your mother’s dog will be all right. She needs to have full confidence in vet who is treating him.

As for treatment itself, it all depends which form of Addison’s disease her dog is having.

You mentioned Percorten-V – that is a medication which replaces both the aldosterone and cortisol hormones. The lack of these hormones causes typical Addison’s.

But, there is a condition called atypical Addison’s disease (or secondary Addison’s) where dog’s adrenal gland still produce sufficient aldosterone so dogs only need substitution for cortisol. Vets usually treat secondary Addison’s with prednisolone.

Keep in mind that all dogs with Addison’s need periodic monitoring of blood potassium and sodium levels. 

Please, don’t do anything without consulting your vet first. I know why I am saying this. My ex boyfriend had a puppy, and he was diagnosed with Addison’s disease. He didn’t want to leave him, and he took him home. He was sure that he can make the best diagnose for him. But, that was the biggest mistake in his life. Seeing this puppy dying was the worst thing that I ever saw in my life :( Please, let your vet tell you the best treatment options.  Don’t risk, because we don’t know a lot about it.

Save your dog.

I really hope that here is someone who can tell us more experiences. 

My friend has a dog who has Addison’s disease. He is such a nice dog and my friend is taking good care of him. I always think about how lucky the dog is to have her. I imagine all those dogs on the streets. Some of them must also have Addison’s and many other terrible diseases but they don’t have anyone to take care of them. That is so sad.

As for the treatment,  Meg and dogs who have this disease need a synthetic corticosteroid to replace the cortisol they no longer produce in sufficient quantities. The medication is called Prednisone and it is probably familiar to people who suffer from IBD’s like Ulcerative Colitis.

I’ve heard of Prednisone. I used it myself for my colitis and I really hate that drug. It probably saved my life though, but when I remember the side effects… I feel sick.:/ I had no idea they use that drug for dogs.

I’ve heard that there is this drug called Florinef, fludrocortisone acetate. It is also a human oral medication and it replaces both the aldosterone and the cortisol with a single drug. Prednisone only replaces cortisol right?

Florinef is not widely used because it is quite expensive.I think there is now less expensive, generic form of it available on the market.