My husband has been sick for 18 months. He was diagnosis with bacteria overgrowth in March 2006, was put on an antibiotic for 2 weeks, felt great, 10 days later symptoms came back. Given another test for Bacteria overgrowth and it came out positive again. May 2005 given 30 days supply of antibiotic with 1 refill. After 2-3 weeks, symptoms came back again while still being on antibiotic. Now again, given another antibiotic, told to take for 1 week on and 1 week off for who know how long. Still not feeling better. He feels the disease in his body when it comes and when it goes. Only has 2-3 good days at a time. Symptoms are; feelings of being hot then cold, stomach pains, very weak, no energy at all, in bed all day for days, has both constipation and diarrhea. Feels at his best when constipated. HELP!!!

Has he been checked for some structural abnormalities in the intestines, especially small intestines. Intestinal diverticula (pouches) could be causing bacterial overgrowth, intestinal obstruction and Chron’s disease fistula.

A lot of stress can cause bacterial overgrowth as well as some medicines like antibiotics and steroids as well as lack of pancreatic enzyme and low fiber intake.

It is very important for your husband to be on the low calorie diet during his treatment. This means no eating sweets and no starchy vegetables, which should reduce the symptoms. His doctor may run a test for vitamin and mineral levels as usually vitamins B12, A, D, E, and K are missing during bacterial overgrowth as well as iron, calcium, zinc, and magnesium.

Try getting probiotics, which should help with the levels of the so called friendly bacteria. Ask in the pharmacy which of probiotics are usually used in bacterial overgrowth. Ask if there are certain herbs like peppermint oil would help.

He is having another colonoscopy (but next available date is not until mid August) and the doctor said he was going to go further into his small intestine. Right now he is taking Floral Q. He takes benefiber at least twice a day He barely has a diet, because everytime he eats, he gets stomach pains. Doctor just did some blood work this past week, not sure what he exactly tested for, but will inform when I know. He was previously test for H.Pylori and Celiac Sprue, etc. He has only had 1 bowel speciment tested and it did not show anything. The symptoms always start with change in his body temperature, always back and forth from hot to cold, then severe stomach pains. He could be woken up in the middle of the night, it comes and goes at any time. But he can actually feel it leave his body when it goes. Very weird. Problem now is that he has been sick for so long that he is depressed about it and taking suicide at times. Never know day to day if he will feel well or not.

Nascargirl, let your husband read this reply, my name is Matt and i am a 36 year old from London England going through exactly the same experience. The stomach pain and discomfort comes on after eating anything and the feeling of dread is overpowering sometimes.
How i am managing to continue to work is anyones guess at the moment.
Anyway so far i have had a colonoscopy because of the malfunctioning bowel which came back negative. Ihave had various bloods done with no anaemia or other nasties found that are suggestive of any malignancy or bowel inflamation. Now this is all good and well but i still feel dreadful after 2 months and am about to become a father for the first time v v soon. I have been given the diagnosis of I.B.S but being in the medical field myself i feel that this is just a convienient way of moving the patient along and out of the gastros office and am somewhat sceptical of this.
What i want your husband to know is that he is NOT alone there are others in the same situation and if he or you needs support or just an ear then i am here

nascargal124 did you ever find out what was wrong with your husband, my daughter is having very similar stuff going on, she has been dealing with it for 6 months. I need some help.

I was wondering what they ever came up with as a diagnosis for your husband? My daughter has been having these same problems for 6 months. She has a severe overgrowth and is now on antibiotics however the other symptoms, acute pain in left of stomach, radiating to back and chest, burning feeling in stomach, nausea, dizziness, severe fatigue, can come on after eating or she can wake up with it. Tried Previcid for 3 months, huge dose, no results, had ultrasound, looked okay, had endoscopy - had bile in stomach, weak sphincter muscle and swollen pale esophogus, she had a gallbladder scan with nothing wrong, and now the bacteria they are treating with antibiotics for two weeks. All symptoms are present still along with a fever and sore throat this week. I am at wits end and she is becoming very depressed. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Thanks for the post. My husband is doing alot better than before. His only problem now is the fatigue, which keeps him in bed most of the day, which is probably linked to his depression from being sick for so long. He just seemed out outgrow his symptoms. They eventually faded away little by little one at a time. The only positive diagnosis he ever had was bacteria overgrowth and that was from the breath test. He had every other test imaginable and they were all negative. He was diagnosised with IBS because of his bowel problems in the beginning, his colonscopy showed small signs of chrones disease but not enough that anything was done about it. He actually saw 3 different gastroentrologists because he felt they were not doing enough for him and the times between appointments and tests were so long. Eventually he stopped going altogether. I guess it just takes time. His was from Oct 2004 till about a month ago. I am told that if there is alot of stress and uncertainity in your life that you can get sick and bring on symptoms on your own. And at the time he started getting sick, he had alot of stress and he still does to a point in his eyes. He wont go for help and see a pyschologist. Last July he was so bad that he tried to commit suicide but failed because the sleeping pills he took were 2 years old and I guess that were not potent enough to do any harm. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or just need to chat or someone to talk to.
Paula (_[removed]_)

did your husbands overgrowth just go away after antibiotics? was he retested later to make sure? my daughters most receint CBC came back fine with only Hemocrat a tad low same as the last one, and they did check her pancreatic enzymes and for mono as well. All is well in those areas. This is the most frustrating thing ever. Our doctors have suggested trying a depression medication saying that if it is IBS, it will mask it and may make her feel better. I really hate to overlook the issues they have found. When she went in to start the breath test her first number was a 21 and her first blow after one hour was 486 which they say is totally off the charts. I can't help but think this may have something to do with the swollen esophogus, fatigue, nausea, etc...... no one seems concerned but me and I just want an answer..... thank you for listening.

Has anyone else out there, found any relief from this odd stomach problem?

Anyone know where to get medical advice or reviews of things by a doctor or forum?

I have had the same symptoms now for 4 months,.I have had endless test all normal. I just learned with probiotics you need acidolophilus and bifadophus?

I also am looking at Candida yeast. The thing is you can eat nothing and it will take 3-4 months to get rid of. I have IBS and they say it has just changed.

I have the same symptoms and I found it was a overgrowth of bacteria. I am on a low carb diet- no gluten, no sugar, no dairy.... I hate doing this but if I have any gluten, sugar, dairy or starch I get sick.

I will never have antibotics or medicine from doctors. They don't know what they are doing. (I say this from bad experiences with doctors). You only know your body.

It sounds as if other people have had bad experiences with doctors. I think I will go to a nutritionist or holistic doctor.

I have been having alot of the same symptoms for about 3months now, with all kinds of test, all have come back normal except fpr the bacteria overgrowth. It has been so difficult and not able to work. These symptoms give me anziety. I have also found through a holistic doctor that I have a couple parasites that cause these symptoms along with causing the bacteria. I am taking a papr cleanse for the second time. But my big problen is alot of gas which builds up and makes me nausaes. my doctor also wants me on an anti deppresant. I have crying spells because of feeling so bad and being so tired and no energy. I hope the rest of you are getting better.
Cyndy %-)

hi -
I have been dealing with the same. Mine started 4 years ago. 1st symptoms heart palpitations and rapids heart race. Some issues with stomach but I felt nothing out of the ordinary or at least that is what I was told. I was always tired, felt ill all the time, dizzy the list goes on. I went to doctor after doctor and no one could find anything wrong. Finally about 6 months ago I was diagnosed with overgrowth of bacteria. I was given antibiotics they would work for a while but not long and I would have to go back on. I have been on antibiotics for 6 months maybe a week off here and there. I was told my B12 was low so I have started taking B12 which has help a lot of my symptoms, I also started taking probiotics and enzymes. Those have made a big difference as well. Finally a few months ago I went to see a holistic doctor and she has given me a few things to take as well. I am feeling better but I can tell it is not gone yet. I am going to continue with the Holisitc doctor, B12, Probiotics and enzymes because I have noticed the best change while I am on them
I have also been depressed and cry because I am sick of feeling like c**p and not being able to do things like I use to.
I also hope the rest of you continue to feel better and lets not let us get this down. We know is it real - don't let the doctors make you feel any different

I am an 18 year old female. Have similar symptoms. I actually got sick right after my 17th birthday [bummer] But it was extremely painful to the point I had to drop out of school. At the time I was living with a friend. She even told me I had become anti-social. I eventually had to move back in with my mother and she took me to the doctor when our insurance kicked in....about 5 months later. Anyway doctor told me it was IBS, which I know it wasn't because I used to eat so much food and had healthy bowel movements. But she insisted, gave me dicyclomine. Which at first calmed my stomach when I felt "attacked" but after awhile actually contributed to the pain. So if you think its not IBS and they tell you it is. DONT BELIEVE THEM! I only had 1 doctors visit. But it's been 14 months, I lost about 7 pounds, feel great. I can actually leave my house :] And eat around select friends without feeling embarrassed about how my body reacts. I think in these cases...you have to wait it out. Maybe go on a little diet to shed some pounds you may have gained due to the health issues.

I was pretty much having all the symptoms people describe here. I went to 4 different GI doctors, was diagnosed with celiac disease. Went on a gluten free diet still wasn't feeling better. Always thought I had some bacteria overgrowth but doctors really did not pay attention to that plus they said they don't perform the test for SIBO here in South Florida. One day searching for "best doctors" in my area I came across this Internal Medicine doctor that had great patient reviews. Although he did not take any health insurance I was desperate from having these pains every day and decided to give it a try. He told me to take "Culturelle" which is over the counter and guess what? The second day my pain started going away.. now I am almost pain free and very happy. To all of you out there this thing really works! It gets rid of the bad bacteria and replaces it with the good one.

I know this is late but i just came across this post. Has anyone been tested for Chronic-intestinal Pseudo-obstruction (CIP)?? Or gastroparesis? i have a lot of the symptoms everyone is talking about and have both these diagnosis. CIP can cause bacterial overgrowth