Hello! I have read about religious fasting and how it benefits our body and soul. I have found it very interesting and I am quite sad that people nowadays forgot about this tradition. It is said that fasting is good for healing many diseases even! There are many reasons why one should fast even if he is not religious and there are many ways to do it. You may fast on water, you may eat everything but meat and animal products, etc... I am mostly interested in juice fasting though. I am thinking of starting it since I love to drink juices and I think it must be easier to cope with than water fasting. So does anyone know what is juice fasting? Which juices should I focus on? How long and how often should I do it?

Hi! I would also recommend a juice fast over the water fast. Fasting on water is very extreme for people who are ‘beginners’ and even for those who are not first-time fasters.
Usual reasons for juice fast are religious ones, as you mentioned already, but also weight loss, refraining oneself from unhealthy habits such as smoking, drinking alcohol, overeating etc. Some even use it as an alternative to medication use in treating pain, cancer, infections, arthritis and other diseases. Juices are high in vitamins, minerals and enzymes that our body needs. People usually recommend citrus juices such as lemon, orange, pineapple or grapefruit juice, or apple juice. As far as vegetable juices are consider they recommend tomato, celery, carrot or cucumber juice. Herbal tea, especially peppermint, is also highly recommended. You should fast for at least three days, and although some recommend 30 days of fasting I wouldn’t advise you to start that without a doctor to oversee it.

I don’t agree with everything you said. Fruit and vegetable juices cannot harm you but I don’t believe that they will help treat cancer! If it was so simple everyone would do it and no one would die from cancer anymore. So as far as I am concerned, juice fasting will help you loose weight, give you more energy and perhaps strengthen your immune system but don’t expect wonders!