I was showering tonight and while washing the said area I felt a couple bumps. After looking at them in the mirror they looked like blackheads, I pinched one out. It was about a quarter of an inch long, the body was white, and the tip was dark. Whenever i squeezed the "blackhead" in my finger it looked like a wad of hairs held together by the white part of the "blackhead". I pinched 5 of these out. From what I've been reading, it seems that it is pinworms, but i don't have enough info. Can anyone out there shed any light???? And please don't tell me to go see a doctor. I know I need to see one, but no money and no healthcare make things complicated. Plus, how many things that come out of your anus have that description. Please help!!!

I had a thing, cant remember what it was called, but it was a lump caused by a whole lot of hairs growing inwards. Had to have an operation to remove. Sounds like you could have something similar.

did you ever find out what this was? i had a similar problem.

No I never found anymore information concerning this. I believe the reply I recieved was accurate. I pinched out about five of those things that night and haven't had any signs of them since. I haven't had any of the symptoms associated with pinworms such as the itching so I don't believe that was it. A very awkward place for ingrown hairs and little information on it.

I just discovered the same thing this evenint. I also squeezed them out to find them black on one end and white on the other.  About the size of an uncooked grain of rice.  It looks to me to be a blackhead, just big old ones that have never been addressed before now.  Who knows how long they've been there.  My wife is a nurse and when she gets home she may be able to tell me if she knows.  WIll continue to look for a while also.

I'm googling for info too. I just have always assumed that they are indeed blackheads. It is a depository of heat and waste and sweat. If you find anymore out let me know. I'd like a way to wash em out.

god... i just popped a few of these today. exactly as described- looks like a grain of rice.  pretty sure they're just really old blackhead type things

I have the same thing.  I am in the medical field and recently read a journal article on this subject about a year ago.  For the life of me I can't remember the name of the journal, it was a dermatology publication.

The article said that all these are are large follicles which become filled with keratin and hairs.  They are not dangerous and occur in less than 20% of the population (Hurray I'm special!).  The article had a histology slide of one of these.  

Maybe someone can find it again and post a link.

I have them too. Yay for me! We should start a club!--NOT! I have no medical training, I can barely dress myself. So, don't trust what I say.My theory is-- The Anus is a mucus type membrane-- like the inner part of your nose and mouth. As such, where it exits, there is an area that secretes fats to protect it and keep it lubricated (ever get chapped lips? Chapped nostrils? Imagine a chapped Anus!)You may have gotten a pimple inside your nostril or one on your lip. The area in your nostril, your lips and your anus all have sebaceous (SP??) glands that secrete this lubricant. If they cannot drain properly, just like a pimple on your face, it swells up and gets a white head. If it becomes infected, it can be considered or become acne. The black head you see is -- shall we say "dirt"? It's there for the same reason we see a black head on our nose or face. The grease in the gland becomes contaminated so, instead of the whitish normal color, the top "head" takes on the color of whatever contaminates it.

Trying to find an answer, I have found other forums where women also complain of the same thing. I noticed it years ago and have yet to get up the nerve to ask my DR. And, not one of the forums has mentioned it is clogged glands or any suggestion my answer is correct. I don't think it has anything to do with hair or follicles.

I sure would like to know for sure!

I found the same thing in my boyfriends "area" while doing some man scapin for him. His doc says it's very normal, and basically it's poop n hair. Your anus had creases and small holes where "stuff" gets trapped and just kinda hangs out :|-

-- I had a blackhead in my anus region. Squeezed it out. Like you say, it was long and white with a black tip. No sign of worms - forget about that. There are other bumps - possible potential blackheads - who knows? Unless the region gets sore in some way there's no need for a doc. Keep the area clean - bathe with mild soap - don't rub. Best to keep one's filthy fingers away.

Yes keep your filthy fingers away from your faeces filled anus o-0 what?

It's Anal Hidradenitis. Eating better and drinking enough water will do wonders. To get it clean: It seems to come out easily while wiping with wet TP. If nothing comes out in one direction, try the other direction. The direction of the pore makes all the difference. Try it while showering without soap and gently rubbing. Pay attention to the towel with each wipe.

For there are any hairs in it, it could be a pilonidal cyst, which could get infected and become a pilonidal abscess! Which requires surgery... if you decide to pop it make sure your hands and instruments are clean.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Just got back from the dermatologist today and was treated for the same thing. The attending said they were blackheads that had grown larger because the sebum that was filling up the pores. She and the female resident who assisted her removed close to 20 large ones from all around the anal area and with in the anal opening. They said there were likely 50 more small ones. considering how clean I keep myself I thought it was unusual and they, in fact, said it's a condition that isn't common. I'm being treated with accutane and they think that the accutane had started to force them more to the surface and that's why they became annoying and noticeable. They both agreed to stick with me to monitor it and address any future issues there to spare me any embarrassment. It was kind of odd having two gorgeous women poking around and squeezing my butt and anus. The were extremely kind and comforting and shielded me from exposure whenever anyone tried to come in and see what was going on. The resident also did two punch biopsies on two other areas with one on my left anterolateral hip area. while working on that she complimented me on my physique and wondered if I exercised a lot. At 66 1/2 to have a young woman notice you is a nice ego booster, but I had to admit I don't really exercise. So I was completely naked under the gown. The only time my genitals were showing was while they worked on my anus and part of my scrotum was visible.

Their acknowledgement of the embarrassing situation and their desire to keep it "between" us during visits was very reassuring and comforting. The attending who was around late thirties early forties is from Hungary, stunning and has a European attitude about the human body. If I knew they wouldn't get into trouble going out with a patient, I'd ask her out if she were single. I'll likely see the resident again in 30 days and I'm sure she'll want to check my anus again.

As a healthcare professional myself, and since we see many patients and their body parts, making them feel comfortable being exposed is paramount to quality care. No patient should feel 'exposed' or embarrassed and one's approach to them is key. These two ladies easily made me feel no self-consciousness about being exposed. Hopefully, the condition will soon not be "a pain in the ass!"