Hi, my mother is a passionate smoker since high school. The worst thing is that she has asthma, and it makes things even more difficult. She is coughing like crazy, but it doesn’t make her quit smoking What can I do to help her?

Hi, show your mother how concerned you are for her, maybe it will make her think about what she’s doing. I will tell you few things that make quitting easier, and you will talk with your mother about that. She should pick a date to stop smoking, so she could prepare for that. She should also write down the reasons why she smokes, and why does she want to quit. Tell her to find activities that will replace smoking. Tobacco smoke increases asthma symptoms, and makes irritation and inflammation of the airways even worse. One research showed that one fifth of asthmatics continue to smoke, and they usually have the worst symptoms. Smoking is dangerous itself, but it’s even worse in combination with asthma.

Please make sure if she chooses to quit (hopefully she will) that she knows everything that may happen. I just quit 2 months ago and it has been horrible for me. My asthma is totally out of control now sense I quit and I have the worst cough ever. Symptoms like this can drive a person back to cigarettes if they don’t know what to expect. Make sure she talks to her doctor about quitting so he can be ready to change her asthma medication if need be. I have been to the ER for my asthma sense I quit and that hasn’t happened sense I was 16 and I am 36 now. It will scare her to death if she does not know it may happen. All of this said I really hope you can get her to quit because the temporary pain and discomfort for the first few months is nothing compared to what she will go through later in life if she doesn’t quit now while she is young... Good luck