I had bunion, hammer toe and neuroma surgery in February of this year. While I was recovering I noticed my toes leaning together. I told this to the physical therapist and my doctor and was told that it was normal and that all would even out. I even told them that I was still very uncomfortable. Well, almost 6 mos. have gone by and my hammer toe is not laying flat and still swollen, my big toe is leaning very badly, and I now have my 3rd buckling under. I have a lot more pain in the ball of my foot, I can't go barefoot at all. I am so discouraged because I had been telling them all along. Now my doctor is going to put a screw back in the big toe and a screw in the 2nd toe. Then a separate surgery to fix the 3rd toe. Is this something that can happen? Or is it my doctor's fault? :-(

I'm sorry I don't have any information for you. But I'm 27 and have had problems with bunions since I was 14. Tried surgery when I was 19 and didn't help. They're so bad now and I need to have surgery again but I'm obviously scared to. I'm sorry you're experiencing this. To be honest my original bunion surgery did not help and my doctor acted the same way when I had my concerns. However, I will say any surgery in the foot, especially, forefoot is really almost 50/50. There are a lot of adverse effects that can unfortunately happen as a result. You might want to get another surgeon's opinion though.