hi I am 16 years old and I have had bunions for years now and I am thinking about having a bunionectomy preformed and I am just wondering if it is worth it. I love to workout and I am a cheerleader and prom is comming up in 2 weeks and I have college classes over the whole summer. The bunions are on both of my feet and cause severe pain when I work out. Should I have it done?

Look, nobody can tell you if you should do it or not, you need to make that decision on your own, it is your life after all. What you can do is learn about the procedure as much as possible, read and listen about its benefits and side effects and talk to a podiatrist about your individual case.

It will take you long to recover, and from what I’ve been reading, there could be a lot of complications as many people suffer from prolonged pain and swellings, etc

Considering you are only 16 and already are experiencing bunion pain, I don’t think it will get any better. If it hurts only during work out, wait at least until prom is over and then make your decision. Only your doctor and you will know what is best for you.

Have you already seen one? What did s/he suggest?

I had a bunionectomy on both my feet when I was 17 years old. That was 18 years ago. I had severe pain in my feet before the surgery. I will say that having the surgery was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. I wear orthotics with my running shoes. I am able to do anything that I want. It was a long recovery and quite painful. It was definetly worth it. Once I was completely healed and finished PT. I have had NO Pain. They said it would probably need to be redone in 5-10 years but it has been 18 years. I run / walk over 25 miles a week.
NO PAIN. There will always been people that have complications. It has been worth not having the pain I used to have.

doctor wants me to get both feet done but idk what the marine corps willl want to do after and i cant afford to get discharged