Hi. I’m 23 years old. I have some problems with my right foot – to be more exact, my big toe is bending towards the second one. It doesn’t cause me any major health problems, but only esthetical ones. I feel that when I go to swimming pool everybody’s looking at it. I really feel uncomfortable with it… I’m considering bunionectomy, but I’m not sure weather that is the right thing to do. What do you think about it?? Please, give me some advice. Thanks.

Bunionectomy is a routine surgical treatment which doesn’t last long and from which you can easily and quickly recover. You will have a general anaesthetic so you’ll be asleep for the whole operation. Your toe will be straightened and you’ll be out of the hospital that or the following day. Of course, you will need some time to completely get back to normal but usually doesn’t last more than 5 or 6 weeks. If I were you I would do it.

mariele,
i had the surgery twice....i did it because it was painful. i am currently recovering from my latest surgery. i believe that doing it for cosmetic reasons is not worth it. if it is causing you a lot of pain when you walk, you may want to consider it. recovery is ong and painful..

It's a mistake making light of bunion surgery. Bunion surgery is not successful for everyone and complications have to be considered. Once the surgery has been performed, you have to accept the outcome, whether good or bad. Do your research!

I am a 61 yr old female and am having bunion surgery this week. It is long overdue... I also have hammertoe problems and my big toe has pushed my 2nd toe out of joint. If I had my bunion fixed when I was younger, I would not have the extra problelms also. In my case, this is all hereditary; if this is your case also, then you probably should go ahead and have it done. you'll have to sooner or later.

How did your surgery go? I'm 60 ys. old and considering the same surgery as you....exact same problem.