my mother had GERD, and she suffered a fall (while playing softball) after Thanksgiving dinner when her stomach was too full. the fall caused her esophagus to tear, but we didn't know until, months later, she was on a ventilator because her lung capacity was greatly reduced and no one knew why. a biopsy of her lungs showed that stomach acid was burning her lung tissue. she had surgery to repair her esophagus, but she now has scar tissue in her lungs, severe asthma, and COPD even though she never smoked. she is 58 and will likely be on portable oxygen soon. GERD should be taken seriously. and you might want to have your lungs x-rayed to see if the back pain could be related to leaking from your esophagus. just a thought.

I have a burning pain between my shoulder blades very often and a pain uder my ribs. I always have a "bubble" feeing in my throat that makes me burp constantly. I have had ultrasound test for gallstones, stress tests for heart and endoscopy for my esophagus. The only thing the Dr.s say is "acid reflux". I have been sick for months and lost 20 lbs. Has anyone who posted last year come up with any new ideas for a cure? Always taking anticids.

For over a week i have had a very warm centre back, seems to be there all the time, I thought it was angina as i have heart by pass in the past. sometimes it travels around to my chest and up to my neck. I was driving home in the snow yesterday evening in the dark and became anxious.The heat came round my chest and up to my throat. I thought i was having a heart attack. When i got home my neck was red. Was this stress. I aM REALLY QUITE WORRIED.
I find this site very helpful and i am hoping it could just be reflux bought on by stress. I haVE A BAD BACK AND BAD POSTURE, PROBABLY DUE TO BEING A SECRETARY FOR YEARS. hOPE THIS IS ALL IT IS.

I have the burning pain in the shoulder blade area, as well. I have been diagnosed with erosive GERD after an Endoscopy. I also have IBS, Rheumatoid and some other fun stuff. I've never been consciously aware of severe heartburn, although I've tasted stomach acid, but not on an every day basis.

I have experienced weight loss, nausea, hoarseness, a constant need to clear my throat, pressure behind my breastbone, etc. off and on for a few years, but chalked it up to other conditions/meds. The back pain is more recent and seems to be somewhat driven by stress in conjunction with the GERD. The pain is on the left side between my shoulder blade and spine. It is dull,sometimes burning and feels internal versus skeletal/muscular as if it's potentially emanating from my lungs. I was pretty freaked out about the back pain given that I take immunosuppresants for Rheumatoid which can lead to lymphomas which are characterized by the same symptoms described above. Doctors seem to want to look for the easiest explanation, and that's probably cost-effective, but as individuals we have a little more at stake, so I think it's only prudent to rule out the worst case
first.

I feel posture has an impact on the pain, but not from a spinal/skeletal point of reference. GERD is aggravated by being bent over as it apparently opens the valve that blocks the stomach acid. I tend to feel this pain the most at work where I am at a desk and am always somewhat hunched over. The burning tends to start about 90 minutes after I get to work and persists until later in the evening when I am generally in a more prone position.

Diet is a factor, as well. Based on my own physiology, coffee affects it more severely, as the caffeine aggravates the stomach and elevates stress levels. Citrus, especially OJ, and tomato based products also impact the condition. Spicy food, fuggedaboutit!

Stress is obviously a component that is hard to separate as it feeds into everything. There are some stressors in my life that coincided with appearance of the back pain. Of course, worrying about dying from a fatal disease associated with some unknown back pain doesn't reduce stress levels any.

To personally evaluate it, you need to step back and look at when the pain occurs and try to gauge if there are any triggers that are aggravating it. If the pain is intermittent and comes and goes at various times of the day/week, it's probably not cancer as that's generally a persistent condition where pain is constant and/or progressively worse, but again rule out the worst case first. You can live a long time with GERD. Cancer, not so much. Also, you can probably rule out muscle strains or skeletal conditions by determining whether pain is felt during physical exertion or certain movements (i.e. turning your head as far left/right as possible, stretching, etc.).

Cheapest/easiest solution, try antacids (TUMS,etc.) when the burning appears, if the pain abates at all, then GERD is probably the issue. Be careful of some of the prescription meds for this condition, such as Nexium. I had a relatively severe psychological reaction to this drug and other drugs in the same family. I've never experienced anything like it and I've taken a lot of meds in my day for my conditions, so I'm not exactly prone to these types of side effects.

Again, web diagnosis is fine, but don't gamble with your health. Trust but verify, as they say. Anyway, hope this was helpful to someone. I've gotten good advice off of some of these forums, so I thought I would post to return the favor.

Try chiropractic....neck and mid back disc problems can cause this. Try aloe gel or juice for GERD...many other remedies in natural food shops.

I have suffered from this for many years now. I have a sharp buring feeling that seems to be right where some one would go to "Rub" your shoulders. While there may be many things that can cause this, I would ask anyone having this problem one thing....If you rub the muscle, does hurt even worse? Like DO NOT TOUCH ME THERE kind of pain? If so, you might suffer from the same thing as I do. Tendinitis! There is some activity, like typing, that if you are not relaxed, will cause a constant twitching of this muscle. This will cause major pain that gets worse over time. If prolonged exposure continues, there can be permanent damage that can leave you will lose of mobility. You should try to figure out what activity is causing this and work to make your self more comfortable while doing it. This is a very common problem with people such as my self who spend great amount of times at a computer keyboard. I am a computer programmer! For the past 3 years, I have been typing with my feet up and my keyboard on my lap. This relaxes my shoulders completely. Now the pain is gone most of the time, returning only when I have type in the more normal "sit at desk" position.

Hope this helps!

Hello..
My names susan. Im 15 years old, and this also happens to me. It feels like i have a burning sesation under or in between my shoulder blades. People have told me that it could be because i have bigger boobs then most. I also remember that my whenever my brother was heavy set he used to walk on my back to crack it and since then my shoulder clades have been burning and my ribs are crooked and they hurt. I havent went to the doctors but ive heard way to many stories to know whats true.

I wonder if "newbie" doesn't have pancreatitus. The weight loss is very concerning.

I have back & shoulder pain from eating sugar. So long as I avoid all sugar I have no pain. Also, I can relieve the back pain by pushing on my gallbladder. Not sure if it is the gallbladder or pancreas that is the problem, but pushing hard to the right of my belly button does the trick.

hi im suffering with the burning sensations in my mid shoulders(thought it was my lungs at first), i have had them on and off for a few years and i think it could be posture, to relieve the pain i have found there is a nerve in the neck that you can massage this gives instant temporary relief, not sure if it wil work for you guys but this must be worth a try....Take your right hand and place it on your left shoulder then with the part of the hand just past your thumb push into the neck area, you should feel a strange feeling almost like a nerve or pressure point, now push and gently rub this feeling you may get the relief i do....i have also been to my osteopath about 30 times and he also started massage in this area saying that it is linked with the pulling and burning sensation in my shoulder area with deep tendon tissues etc etc

I am 16 and I've had a semi-continous upper back burning sensation for about 2 years. It is quite annoying, and it's hard to focus on homework and just focus in general...
So today, I just decided to see if I can figure out what it is online...
I found that a lot of people talk about a burning sensation between their shoulder blades... and I thought "Hey, that's me!"
i read that it could be GERD, which sounds like it is more in the chest and then stomach acid works it's way to your back? idk exactly. I also read something about a skin problem, but my skin doesn't burn at all, it is definetly below the skin. The last thing I read was that it was due to weak back muscles, and I'm not that strong of a guy... so that could possibly be it
I also have the urge to crack my upper back which doesn't help at all... but I do it anyways for some reason...
I am yet to search for excersises, so if anyone has a good link I would appreciate it :-)

jtorell wrote:

Guest wrote:

I have been getting a terrible burning on my mid back between my shoulder blades. It's been occassional for 2-3 months, but now it is daily. The pain is also spreading across my back and down just a bit.
The pain occurs mid-day. I look into a microscope like instrument also mid day. My body is straight, but my head is tilted out and down.
My coworkers think it is gallblader.
Any idea?

Jesus said to lye down and maditate on the bible it always helps

I have had niggling upper back pain now for 2-3 weeks,never goes away and it is more focused on my right hand side,just behind the shoulder blade so to speak.I cannot take any anti inflammatories because i suffer from acid reflux (even after two failed Hiatus hernia surgeries-now facing a THIRD in a weeks time.ANYWAY,this pain behind my right shoulder blade never really goes away,is very tender and is temporarily relieved by a hot water bottle on it.I have heard it could be related to gall bladder issues,and have no idea what this pain could be related to and am quite worried.Any further information would be appreciated.I am in agony with it.

I have the same problem before and after gallbladder removal. I had an endoscopy done before I had my Gallbladder out and the doctor said that I had erosive gastritis. When he had the endoscopy done the doctor cleaned out the gastritis and I felt so much better. I would say to look up the symptoms of gastritis.

has anyone been tested for helicobacter pylori? i have same symptoms ( pain between shoulders, pain under right rib & pain in right shoulder) my gp is testing me for it, i had scans on kidneys, liver spleen etc, all clear, now awaiting test results for this, which is some kind of stomache acid infection which can cause ulcers too .

Those of you thatare dealing with acidrefflux,there are some natural remedies that will. Actually fix the problem. One of the most amazing products around is aloe.. I used to take a half cup of it twicea day,as needed. That waS years ago. Since then, I have recommenrecommended it to many grateful friends. It's from nature. It actually solves the problems, as opposed to just putting a band aid on it.

:$
:-D