I had the same issue and I am looking for answers. I am going to stop drinking alcohol until some body has answer for it.

The only explanation for why a sip of wine could immediately cause bladder pain is because the alcohol triggers a release of adrenaline after it enters the bloodstream and the adrenaline is causing the bladder pain. There's no way that the urine could acidify within seconds of sipping the wine. Here's why adrenaline is the likely problem: If you are a Type A/highly creative person, you may be producing excess adrenaline all the time because your brain is consuming glucose faster than the average person, and when the brain runs out of glucose it causes adrenaline to be released in order to raise blood sugar. You could also be creating this situation from a diet high in bad carbs that cause an insulin spike, followed by major sugar crash, then the adrenaline release. This "adrenaline dominance" causes chronic muscle tension and lactic acid buildup in the bladder (one of adrenaline's main effects is to cause urinary urgency). If you've had this going on for a long time, like years, your bladder is super unhappy with lactic acid buildup and one sip of wine is going to cause pain. The good news is that there is an M.D. who has figured all this out and the solution: using a 5% progesterone cream right before meals. Progesterone blocks the action of adrenaline. I know, because I've been suffering from interstitial cystitis for many years and since finding out about this two months ago I am no longer in pain!! There is a whole protocol on this. Adrenaline dominance is usually an inherited trait and it causes lots of other problems besides IC. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I've seen four MDs, two of which are urologists and none of them mentioned adrenaline, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Just ordered Dr. Platt's book.

Dr. Platt says most MDs aren't trained in bio-identical hormone therapy -- they typically only know about synthetic hormones because those are the ones that the drug companies sell/can make money from. He appears to have devoted the latter part of his career to helping people with low progesterone/excess adrenaline issues and knows more about this than anyone else I've ever spoken to. He has two books that are worth checking out if you are having bladder pain issues: The Miracle of Bio-Identical Hormones and Adrenaline Dominance. I purchased the latter when I ordered the 5% progesterone cream on Amazon. Then I spoke to Dr. Platt and he sent me the first book as an ebook. On his website he has a brief questionnaire to help determine if one has a hormone imbalance. If you want, he will call you (no charge) with his perspective based on your answers. I did this and he basically told me my life story (and that of many of my family members) based on answering 10 questions -- it was pretty amazing. He is very generous with his time.

Quote for quote me too girls!

I've had this problem for a little over 2 years now - and have also been frequenting this forum board. I first started noticing something was wrong when I would take a sip of alcohol and feel that burning, tingling feeling at the end of the urethra almost instantly. Of course, googling led my here. Below are my experiences thus far:

Symptoms:
Persistent, urgent need to urinate
Frequent urination, often in small amounts
feeling you need to pee, even after just going
Burning / Flaring of bladder and urethra
Pain during orgasm or after sex

Possible Causes:

Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) - The symptoms are very close to a UTI. I'm sure many of you have even went to a doctor to which the doctor asked for a urine sample to test for this. If you test positive, mystery solved. If not check below.

Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) - Symptoms can also be close to certain STIs - a sample test by your doctor can confirm if you may have a STI. If not, see below.

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) - It's often mistaken for a urinary tract infection (UTI), but there is no infection.
Symptoms include bladder and pelvic pain or pressure and a frequent urge to urinate.
Painful bladder syndrome is often difficult to treat. Therapies may include medications, physical therapy, and biofeedback. Antibiotics haven't been shown to help with painful bladder syndrome.

Conclusion: After testing negative for STIs and UTIs, I believe I may have IC. One reason most doctors may not consider this at first for patients may because IC affects most women. Unfortunately, I have not read any cure for it; however, I have benefitted greatly from monitoring my diet. Alcohol is a key ingredient that triggers the flares. A very strong criminal is also coffee/caffeine - I get the worse affects from coffee. Others have noted that foods with high acidity tend to cause flares.

One thing that I have found very helpful are Colostrum pills that I get from Vitaminne Shop, or GNC. I take 3 every morning as soon as I wake up. Colostrum has not cured anything, and when I stop taking the pills, I become victim once again. However, after 3 days of taking 3 colostrum pills everyday, I felt like it helped to decrease the intensity of the flares - though I still have to avoid alcohol and caffeine. I am sure there are other trigger foods that I have yet to discover. Colostrum is also known as "mother's milk" since it is found in the milk of mothers that nurse - I do feel like this may help "coat" my bladder.

I HAVE FOUND AND FIXED THE PROBLEM. Hilariously enough; it's quite simple. Everyone's body is different, but one thing that seems to be a constant vairable... is dehydration. Hear me out; just because you don't feel thirsty doesn't mean you're not dehydrated to some degree. We're supposed to be drinking our weight in ounces. So if someone weighs 200 pounds, they're supposed to drink 200 ounces of water A DAY. This being said, I do believe we're all a little on the dehydrated side. DO THE RESEARCH YOURSELF AND TELL ME OTHERWISE! Better yet; TEST IT OUT! Since I've discovered this I started drinking more water, and now the problem is gone. DRINK WATER PEOPLE!

Been dealing with this since i was 16. Am 23 now and thats why i choose the devils letuce over alcohol Unbearable burning sensation after ejaculating when drunk. Glad to see im not the inly one but would be noce to get an answer

Thank you so much!!!

Same problem here. I have dealing with this since I started to drink alcohol. I thought it was normal. I get a very light burning sensation within seconds of having my first sip of alcohol. Beer, wine, vodka....you name it. Then it goes away. It only happens to me with alcohol. Also, I don't have any STD's or anything of the sort. I have noticed that if I don't drink enough water daily I can easily get a UTI if I'm consuming caffeine, coca cola or spicy food during the day. Or at least the burning sensation that comes with a UTI. But again, it goes away on its own after I drink enough water.
I drink a lot of green tea during the day without sugar.
Does anyone know why are we experiencing any of these things?

Note. Green tea has caffeine... reducing caffeine has helped me quite a bit with the UTI like symptoms.

Bro this sh*t happens all the time to me I hate it

I also have the same problem, but this never came about until after my gastric bypass surgery! I explain this to my doctor and she says she’s never heard of this before, sent me to a specialist.. same response so I’m at a lost for words! I’m a social drinker, nothing heavy! I just decided to have me a glass of wine and it is doing it now but not as bad as it was when it first began. I’m sorry for everyone else going through this but I am glad I’m not alone because people seem to think I’m crazy

What antibiotics did you take before/after surgery? I am trying to find some common thread.

I think i got a solution. Same problem and everything. Drink more water! Alcohol is a dehydrator (check spelling cuz i suck at spelling) but you have more liquor in your body than you do water. So youre pissing out acidic sh*t than water. Idk im no doctor but as soon as i drank more water the problem went away. Hope this helps!!!