What causes muscle cramps? Could I have muscle cramps because of stress? Should I take some supplements for it? I exercise a lot, but I work a lot too. I never had this problem before.

Although there are many causes of muscle cramps, large losses of sodium and fluid can be key factors that predispose muscle cramps. Sodium is an important mineral in initiating signals from nerves and actions that lead to movement in the muscles, so a deficit of this element and fluid may make muscles "irritable”, so I would suggest you supplements. Under such conditions as deficit is, a slight stress, such as a subsequent movement may cause the muscle to cramp.

Hello xylia,

there are several possible reasons as to why muscle cramps happen and stress sometimes does contribute to the worsening of the condition, I think that in the situation you described, chances are far more likely that franc is right. You are losing both water and minerals such as potassium and sodium in physical activity and lack of these minerals does cause muscle cramping.

However, before you start taking the supplements, keep in mind that they also might have side effects, sometimes very serious ones, mainly related to the heart. So, before you take the supplement, maybe try first with potassium rich food and if you can, try consulting your doctor about which supplement would be the best for you.