I've always had a bit of trouble sleeping over the last couple years due to some anxiety. I would worry that I wouldn't be able to sleep which would keep me up at night every now and again. I smoked weed for the past year straight every night because that put me right out and gave me a nice restful sleep. I think smoking has made my anxiety a lot worse because I can't sleep anymore and I am constantly worrying I wont be able to sleep normally anymore due to my constant fear of sleep. I keep thinking that each night I wont sleep and my next day will be terrible because of that and the cycle continues. It wasn't this bad when I would smoke every now and again to smoke but since I did it for a year straight to help sleep I can't sleep. I tried ambien but it didn't do anything. Did I permanently ruin my sleep schedule and is my fear of sleep ever going to go away? I want to stop smoking so bad and return to my old mindset but I also really want sleep. What should I do? 

Yes if you stopped smoking weed for abit you will retain your old sleeping pattern eventually. 

Weed does bring out schizophrenia, so I actually believe thats why it brings out anxiety as well (but not saying you have schizophrenia!!! Just if you have anxiety, it will bring it out the same way it brings out schizophrenia early. You already had anxiety before and couldn't sleep because of it, you should just talk to your doctor about taking anxiety medication!!! I have OCD which is an anxiety disorder (there are 3 main ones ppl normally have which is ocd, stress and paranoia) 1 out of 3 ppl actually have anxiety or depression!!! Its very common, some have it worse then others though such as me & most likely you!!! When my doctor let me start taking the medication I emmidiatly felt so much happier because it doesnt allow you to feel Anysort of anxiety nomatter what!!!!!! Its amazing how it works. I couldn't believe it, also I cant stop yauning when I take it because very muchly it relaxes you, eases your mind & takes the stress away so you become tired. I couldn't of done anythign else better in my life because I would get so anxious I would get diharriah all day, everyday at School. I couldn't help but be anxious all the time thinking about it happening !!! which made it happen because it only happens when im very anxious!!!! Same problem as you which is a sign of OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder. Its not as bad as it sounds though, it just means you think about things to much & worry all the time. I am a worrier & so are you. :P Alot are. Alls you have to do is tell your doctor the things that stress you out & or how you are feeling most nights and days with it & he/she will put you on the medication. Aslo it isnt bad for you one bit (some seem to think it is just because it isss medication) it gives you a chemical that you are missing in your brain called saratonin which is supose to make you "happy". This helped me out so much & I KNOW it will do the same for you but something you should know is there are many different types of anxiety/depression medication and sometimes it takes alittle bit to find the one that works perfectly for you! The one I started to take immidiatly worked for my brain, I love it. Its called Clomipromine. My mom told me she had to take 10 different kinds of anti-depressant medication before she found the right one. Hopefully and most likely you will get lucky like me and find the great one for you!!! I hope you take it because it will relax you and put you right to sleep! ASLO they put you on a low dose at first because its rare but there has been others who had it do a negative effect on there brain and give them suicidal thoughts! I thought that was a little , omg. when I heard it but very rare, it will take away those thoughts if you have them and it works like its supose to with your brain :) - know that you can up it later to make it work even better like I did :)! It changed my life literally. (...I can make friends, I was very anti-social.)

My advice is to quit the ganja. Your anxiety is fed by smoking, stopping will slowly decrease it and you will regain a normal sleeping pattern. Trust me... it could take some time, read the forum for what to expect. Don't let anxiety stop you from taking this step.

One thing you could try to stop anxiety is repeating to yourself: "So What!?". Search the forum for more tips.

Not being able to sleep because you worry that you won't is a classic sleeping problem. Many people experience it once and a while. Some people use sleeping pills, but my advice is to only do this every third night maximum. This way you won't get addicted to it. Another thing is make sure you work out during the day and you could try meditation at night to get in a more peaceful mood.

Don't go for anti-anxiety medication if you don't suffer from severe anxiety and haven't tried psychotherapy to handle it. Certainly don't mix it with  weed, a good doctor would not prescribe such a medication if he knows you're also using weed. It's like stepping on the gas pedal and the brake pedal simultaneously; it's bad for your car.