I have to have cataract surgery and am very concerned as I suffer from extreme low blood pressure. Had major back surgery last year and they had trouble stabelizing me. Just wondering if this will be a problem again? TUSH

Hi there, I'm a British Optometrist. The most modern technique for cataract removal involves an just two incisions to the cornea, one large for an ultrasonic tip to remove the cataract material and a smaller one for an addition instrument. The cornea doesn't have any vasculature and thus your problem shouldn't be an issue for the surgery. I have personally seen this performed and there was no bleeding aside from the anasthesia injection.

Good luck!

Hi there,
To be honest I am not really sure if your cataract surgery is in danger if you have problems with blood pressure. I know that blood pressure can have negative effect on anesthesia but I am not sure if you will have any during the procedure. You have to talk to your doctor about this and see if there is anything that you can do to avoid any further complication after the surgery. How long have you had cataract? Did you doctor suggest any other treatment method? You have to understand that doctors will be able to perform the surgery as long as they know about your condition.

Best wishes,
Marco