Hi, I am 47 years old male and I am on the chemotherapy because of my prostate cancer. In the last few weeks I started to experience problem with my teeth. If feel burning in my gingival tissue. Also my mucosa is irritated. I would like to know if this is caused by chemotherapy and what can I do about it?

Hi, chemotherapy may cause teeth and mouth problem very often. Best prevention is to treat existing dental problems but also there can be done few things if you feel such problems as you have described. Your oral hygiene has to be on very high level and you may use some medications which may stop inflammation of gingival. If problems are very severe sometimes chemotherapy has to be stopped.

I too had chemotherapy. I am 41 years old and started treatments over 2 years ago. I have had three different sessions of chemo and it only helped my Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer in high potency. It rapidly caused my teeth to decay severely. I don't know about stopping chemo due to teeth problems, in my case it was a situation where I was not going to have good teeth after the chemo or if I had it stopped, I wouldn't have teeth either, I wouldn't be around to enjoy my pretty teeth. It has been very difficult accepting that my teeth are falling out and decaying as they are. I had braces as a child and was taught to take very good care of my teeth. I took care of my teeth as a adult as well. I have decided if my teeth are the worst thing I have to look at, and others as well when I forget to hide them, it is far less than the alternative of not having the chemotherapy in my situation. All experts and doctor have told me to brush 3 or 4 times a day so I have tried to do this. With cancer or any disease that rapidly takes away ones health, it is difficult, but I find I have to stop being so vain and really let a higher power guide me and help me step through each step each day. And that is how I have made it. Sam

I was only 15 when I started chemo, and now at 23, my teeth are wrecked... I'm expecting to have a 'fake mouth' within the next 5-10 years despite my efforts. But, like the last poster said... what good are pretty teeth if you're dead... :-( Guess this is one of those side effects they don't warn you about.

I had cancer when i was 8 years old and chemotherapy. Now I am 19 and went to the doctors and i had 10 cavities! I was so embarrassed but they said it could be the chemotherapy - I sure hope they don't fall out one day! AHH! ha-ha, well at least I'm here to talk about it!

I am 46 and my teeth or slowing decaying . I am getting 5 pulled in a week. because they hurt me so bad. I had chemo early 2007, two year later the problems have started. I will be getting a partial plate. They nevertold me about the possible lost of my teeth. ?

That's unfortunate to hear that your teeth are affected by chemotherapy. Unfortunately, from what I understand, there isn't much you can do about it. I think that you could engage in some preventative maintenance like chewing sugar-free gum or flossing daily, but it seems that there isn't much you can do beyond that. Saliva does help quite a bit in preventing cavities though. How many other people were not informed by their doctors about the loss of teeth?

I had chemo in 1999 and I wasn't told about the effect on your teeth either although it would not have mattered since I was more interested in surviving the breast cancer. I have several teeth that have crumbled down to the gum and one that is half gone. That one is my very front tooth on top and I hate the way I look, but I just thank God I'm here still here!! :-D

Hi, it was nice to read someone else has a similar problem, hate telling my family. THERE COMFORTING BUT DON'T GET THE REALITY OF IT.

I had uterine cancer. Chemo - two rounds and radiation. I have so far lost 3 teeth. I mentioned it to the chemo doc. He said it could not possibly be a side effect from chemo unless I was having radiation on the head. I am so tired of being told I am wrong by this chemo doc when I read stories like all these stories from people who have experienced what I have experienced.

I too was told chemo and radiotherapy would not have been tbhe casue of my bad teeth - after always looking after them (my Mum was a dental nurse) - yet they are now in a bad way. Half a tooth fell away last night. Plenty of people get help with dental care - but not us. I will be needing crowns, if my teeth will take them, but can't afford them. Am so distressed by this situation - although I know I am lucky to be alive.

I had 5 months of chemo in 2009 for breast cancer and a year of Herceptin that ended in Feb. 2010. I've always had difficulty with my teeth but I noticed by summer that two specific teeth on the same side of my jaw had become extremely loose. One's a top molar and the other one is the corresponding bottom molar. Over the past 18 months they've gotten looser and looser, and today the top molar just completely fell out of my mouth. Over the past few months it was hanging down lower and lower so I was expecting it, but it was still a shock to have the entire tooth - root and all - fall right out of my jaw. The bottom tooth is canted to the inside of my mouth, and when I look in the mirror I can see the root is now entirely exposed on the outer side of that tooth. Eventually I expect that one to come out as well. Meantime I've had at least 2 other molars break off and crumble, and I've also lost half of one of my front teeth. Nobody ever told me that teeth were affected by chemo and/or radiation, but after reading all these stories I now believe it 100%.

I am 47. I had chemo in 2007. I had 4 teeth break b/w 2009-2010, one disintigrated/fractured at the root, above the gum-line. I'm having a heck of a time finding a dentist who can manage involved, complicated work. I live in Burlington County, NJ. any suggestions?

I really thought i was alone with this situation but it really shows how badly treatment is.
Im 20 years old now, i got diagnosed with a 16cm tumor sitting under my brain at the age of 17. From the time i started chemo/radio my teeth fell apart, I'm missing 4 teeth in a row on my upper jaw (not to mention a whole other bunch of teeth missing), and just now a whole chunk of a molar came off.. What are the solutions to this problem? will i have to get dentures, or implants.. or something like those?

after reading the above ..... i thought i was the only one whom hadnt been told .... im in shock losing my teeth .... it sounds so vain and bad .... cause i should be glad to be alive only happened the weekend .... i lost my tooth near the front .... another one at back .... why wasnt i told ..... it may sound strange but we go through loads chemo / rad and ive been really strong .... been lucky havent losted all my hair and every knock ive had ive got up ... but i cry and cant bounce back from this ....