I've been diagnosed with chronic posterior blepharitis and am running out of options to manage the redness. I have dry eyes during the night, however, the minute I wake up in the morning, the dryness goes away (but they are still a little red). I do not feel discomfort during the day but my eyes turn red the moment I walk into ANY department store (which is strange). I don't know what is causing this redness. There is discomfort when I wake up in the middle of the night, but it's not severe to a point I cannot blink. Warm compresses don't seem to be working. I take omega-3 and flaxseed oil supplements (TheraTears product - designed especially for the eyes). There are veins (not the little ones) that seems to be growing more and more each month. I am eating a diet rich in fruit and vegetables. I don't know what's wrong with my eyes, I'm only 18 years old. Can anyone help?

Hi there, I'm curious to hear if you have any redness if you walk into any other place?I know that department stores often scent the air with perfumes which can really irritate your eyes and cause some serious issues. Does that sound plausible?

healthnfitnessguy,

When I wake up in the morning, when I'm active outdoors, in the evenings, late at night and in any department stores are when my eyes are irritated the most. I went to see my optometrist today because I woke up with a puffy/red eye and he said that I might have allergies (as opposed to blepharitis) -- which I guess makes sense, but does not explain why only one eye was puffy/red in the morning. He also said that the tear-layer over my eyes was thin and it appeared as though I have dry eyes. I'm going to give Patanol eye drops a try (at the recommendation of my optometrist).

When people spray perfume around me, it doesn't seem to cause any problems. It is only when I walk into any stores (including grocery stores).

Sorry, just to clear one thing up. In my previous post, by irritated I mean red, not pain or any discomfort.

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying that. Hvae you decided to see an allergist about your allergies or was the optometrist able to treat you properly? Let me know what happens, okay?

I have the same problem with big department stores and grocery stores. Its the air conditioning. I have chronic dry eye syndrome and the industrial air ventilation in some stores is ridiculous how much it bothers my eyes. Thats definitely the same thing thats happening to you. Makes sense also since your opth. doc said you appear to have a dryness