I'm 18 and I will be having my colon and rectum removed,possibly in July.My dad just died last august from colorectal cancer. I am wondering if anyone here knows anyone or has experienced themselves, having their colon and rectum removed. Wondering what it will be like after the surgery. I just know that I won't have a bag.

I HAD THE SAME SURG. IN NOV. 2009 PRETTY PAINFUL. HAD TO STAY IN HOSP. FOR ALMOST A WEEK, THEY WON'T LET U LEAVE TILL U HAVE A BM OR 2. I WAS BACK ON MY FEET ABOUT A WEEK OR SO BUT COULDN'T DO MUCH STILL N PAIN BUT COULD WALK AND TAKE A SHOWER BY MYSELF. I GOT OUT OF BREATH VERY EASY ALSO... FULL RECOVERY WITH OUT BEING TIRED OR OUT OF BREATH WAS A MONTH.
I MUST SAY U WILL GO 2 THE BATHROOM A MILLION TIMES ;-) WHICH I LOST 10LBS. BUT THAT WILL SLOW DOWN ALSO. I ONLY HAVE A SMALL SCARE DOWN IN THE PUBIC HAIR 3 INCHES AN 2 SUPER TINY ONES ON MY LOWER STOMACH. IF I'VE LEFT SOMETHING OUT SEND ME ANOTHER MESSAGE, ILL BE GLAD TO INFORM U. GOOD LUCK...P.S. SORRY 2 4 UR LOSS... :'(

I'm 28 and had my colon removed last Summer after a terrible three years of being very ill. I was pretty terrified at the thoughts of this as i lead a very active life as a secondary school teacher. Try not to be worried and stay positive. It is the one thing that helped me recover quickly. Make sure you do any excercises given to you by the physio after the surgery.I was swimming after 4 weeks. I am really healthy now and recovered quickly after the surgery. You are young also so you will be fine. One thing i would advise you is to be extremely careful about your diet for at least 3 -4 months. It will be much easier for you. I will be having further surgery also in July to have my rectum removed. I m not looking forward to it either but again you have to stay positive. I wish you well. :-D