Even though it's better than nothing at all, condoms still have about a 5% failure rate with perfect use. Much of that risk is from condoms falling off or tearing. However, I heard that even if it doesn't fall off or break, there's still a possible chance of pregnancy. A couple studies have even shown that about 1-2% of women still tested positive for semen residue after using a condom during sex.

So what are some factors that can lead to this?

This is usually Planned Parenthood's area of responsibility.

They keep up to date data about failure rates for ALL birth control.

But I'll try to take a whack at this. Items that will contribute to the failure rate of condoms:

1) Use AFTER penetration by the male. Sperm are present in the pre-cum and pre-lubricant emitted by the male during sexual excitment.
That's why you should apply the condom to the erect male organ BEFORE any contact with the woman's sex organs.

2) Use of oil-based or petroleum based lubricant with Condom. Oils and Petroleium ROTS rubber and laytex items. They are drastically weakened within seconds by exposure to these products.

3) Failure to apply condom correctly. If you put the wrong side of the condom against the head of the penis, you've just contaminated the OUTSIDE of the condom with pre-cum (See note #1). The correct way to apply unrolls down the shaft of the penis. To check this, always unroll about an inch before applying, to make sure you know which way it rolls.

4) Failure to leave a reservour in the end of the condom for the semen/ejaculate. Most condoms need a litte room to accept the fluid ejaulated by the male. Some have special tips for this. ALL can be unrolled a turn or two to create this potential space.

5) Failure due to lack of lubrication. Any woman can tell you unlubricated sex is not enjoyable. If she's not turned on, or there's not enough lube, the friction can either drag the condom off the penis, or tear it. Not pleasant. Use water based lube outside the condom.

6) Failure to wear a condom. Some women cannot tell if a man is wearing a condom or not. ALL men can tell if the condom breaks, tears or slides off.

7) Excess lubrication inside the condom. The condom requires some friction or tightness inside the latex tube to keep it on the penis. By applying excess lube INSIDE the condom, the entire item "floats" on the shaft of the penis and can slide off.

8) Failure to stop thrusting after climax. See note #7 above. The semen acts as lube inside the condom and so, lubricates the entire shaft.

It is alright to place a drop of water based lube on the head of the penis before applying the condom. This small amount of lube can make sensation for the man much more intense... but it must be limited to just the head or glans.

9) Failure to wash up after sex.

10) Touching the woman's genitals with hands that have been exposed to the man's ejaculate.

All these could be contributing factors to "condom failure".

I was going to post some helpful information but Kevin B beat me and badly at that. I don't know what to say other than to offer up that if men are ejaculating inside the condom during sex, they can often cause breakage due to structural stress. What makes you ask?

Kevin, do you have a reference for the statement that pre-lubricant contains sperm?  I have never been able to find any studies showing this.

put your pre cum under a microscope!

you are mistaken about noticing condom slipping off
I once had one slip off and i didnt notice untill afterwards
however it did feel different because the condom was a lot smaller than usual and even before starting it felt strange
i guess i should have trusted my guts and put a different one on

they can if you came recently if there are any sperm left in the shaft, however the precum itself doesnt seem to