Hi, folks. My friends got their baby, but I couldn’t see her since she is kept in the hospital. My friend only told me over the phone that it is the matter of congenital ear disorder. I have never heard about this before, so I would like to know something more about this. I would appreciate it.

Hello. Congenital ear disorders are the ones that are present at birth. You can divide them into abnormalities of external ear, middle ear and inner ear. Some of the external ear abnormalities are: anotia/microtia, macrotia, atresia of the external auditory meatus, pre-auricular accessory auricles, etc. Anotia is the total absence of the auricle and microtia is the malformation where auricle is shrunk. Atresia means that the whole canal is obliterated. Middle ear abnormalities are: tympanic membrane abnormalities, ossicular abnormalities and abnormalities of tympanic cavity. Abnormalities of inner ear are quite rare. I hope everything will be all right with your friends’ baby. Good luck!