Ok i f@#%king have the sameeee thing feels like i have to take a deep breath and one after another. ...ill be honest at times i take a benadrly and it seems to work ..but to be honest i think its in my head..because when i dont think about its not there ,im frickung sick of this

I have suffered with this too for over 6 years. I know it can't be anything serious as over this time it would have got progressively worse! It comes and goes, so sometimes lasts weeks then other times I can look back on a few days and think oh I didn't have to take deep breaths those days! I have worked out that it must be pychosamatic, the more you think about it, the more you do it! If you forget, it goes away!

Hey I realize you wrote this a year ago but I've been struggling with this on and off for years. More recently it's gotten bad again since I've had my bAby. He is 4 months . I'm 27 now, but back when I was like 22 it started. I went to doctors; psych wards ect . They would just give me a Benzo but I still had the needing a deep breath thing. Everyone kept telling me it was all in my head which made me feel even crazier. Finally I went to a naturopath and he diagnosed me having sympathetic nervous system overload. Could u e mail me so we could talk further? I'd like to know how your doing. It's been hard finding people with this problem. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I've had this off and on for years now as well. It's extremely physically and emotionally draining. I have a 4 month old so that makes it even more fun. I'm still nice to finally find people withy problem though. Could u e mail me so we could offer support and understanding. 

This sounds a lot like chronic hyperventilation syndrome ... When someone's breathing center gets use to low carbon dioxide ( that helps deliver oxygen) due to stress that's been going on for a long time since stress usually causes you to breath more and faster your body has to readjust to have lower co2 ... This doesn't go away until you've had proper breathing retraining breathing calls it dysfunctional breathing or check out buteyko breathing ;) im not a sales person just someone who has suffered from the same thing I've read of others who have been cured and since starting some of the exercises my biggest problems have gone away and I have pretty much decent days but I haven't had time to do the program everyday and it can take a few months to get it completley corrected ! So anxiety medication will get you calm but you gave to learn to breathe less air at a normal rate 6-8 breaths per minute is recommended ... Also if you yawn let air out very slowly and hold your breath a little

I fell about 4 yrs. ago hit the crown of head on carport floor, it hurt so bad my Dad wouldn't take me to the Emergency room h e said you'll be okay, what I want to know. Is can that cause breathing problems, memory or hearing problems and is it to late to get some help? head is still sore

It could be a involuntary respiratory tic, A type of tourette syndrome.

Did this ever stop for you? I'm recently experiencing the same issue. It's maddening. I do have anxiety also and am on a medication.a

Maybe you have a rib out. Try going to a chiropractor. I had a similar story and one adjustment fixed it! I'm a believer!

just ignore it. do not struggle. thet might help.

Mine started over a month ago. This urge in chest to sigh. It started when i go heart palpitations and rushed myself to er. I'm 46 in decent shape but still scared the hoot outta me. Blood work, ekg, echo and holter state i have a healthy heart but have pvc's. I still have urge to yawn and as i read everones stories, yes I'm certain its anxiety but I'm also throwing in habitual . As we continue to do it, it becomes a habit. Sorta like ocd. Just think of this....when u think of yawning or see someone yawn, you yawn. This has to be the same thing. We are so in tune on what our bodies are doing we cannot focus on other things. Meaning if we take our thoughts off the feeling, it will go away. Of course as i write this I've sighed 4 times. Its a thought. I'm no dr but I've done a ton of reading. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ive had this issue for the past 5-6 years as well, 26 year old male. Otherwise good health, quit smoking 6-7 months ago. To be honest, it is all mental. I always tell myself I could be suffering from something so much worse. Ill have short periods of time (at the most about 2 weeks isn) where ill focus on it a little more than usual, adjust a bit and ill get it back together soon after. Get good sleep, go with friends and have a drink/dinner. Roll around in bed with your girlfriend/wife. Do something active that you enjoy. Keep some good vitamins handy (B vitamins and magnesium are both great for you and great for this specifically) and keep fighting. Being pumped full of medication is a short term solution for a long term problem. Your brains have the ability to combat it, so just let them get to it and just relax. - zach

Anxiety can be played out for so long and all along it could be thyroid problems. I had the same symptoms for years was put on so many different antidepressants and anxiety medicine it would take the edge off but not completely and all along it was my thyroid. My levels would always come back good but I could never get completely calm . I moved to another state for my job and it got worse I soon found a Dr there and he said the same thing it's anxiety and gave me more pills till one day I called and got a appointment and he wasn't in the office but if you want to see the nurse practice you can so I did and she checked me from head to toe and sent me to have a thyroid ultrasound and love and behold I had a nodules any way I ended up having my thyroid removed because of cancer and I'm now anxiety free unless my levels get out of wack then I will feel a little overwhelmed . Read more about thyroid problems and see if any of your symptoms compare.

My name is Joslyn and I'm 28
I've had these same symptoms for a little over a year almost a year and a half now.
Chest pain- a dull pain in my chest; feeling like I'm constantly sighing; inability to get a "good breath"- I'm a vocal performer so this is especially a problem; yawning often; and Ive found the longer Ive had this, if I rub my hand along my sides in between the bones of my ribcage, somehow that seems to help. It almost feels like my breath just gets caught about the time the air reaches my throat if that makes sense. Ive also been very tired.
My posture is good, though up until about a week ago I had a high stress and very physical job.
Ive gone to the Doctors twice for this and Ive been met with skepticism on each trip.
I'm planning to go to the doctors again, once I can afford to, to ask to be put on anxiety medication.
I was severely abused throughout my childhood and trafficked out of my home by my parents until I was seventeen. I have pursued healing for the last seven years and now my best guess as the doctors haven't found anything yet, is that its stress and anxiety left over. I will try to update after a month of medication and let you know if it helped.
If this can help anyone else, then sharing this personal information will be worth it to me.

I went to see an Austoipath she told me my stomach had moved into my asophagus causing pressure. I went to many my doctors for this catching a breath she was the only one who said she could fix this. She did a simple maliipulation with my stomach and I took my first deep breath in two yrs.