Can you tell me something about the impact of weight lifting? I have never loved that sport and now that I’ve started cycling I’ve been told that a necessary part of exercising is weight lifting. Why is that so, and can I skip that part? I really don’t like those big, bulging muscles. Can that weight lifting be substituted with something else?

Who says your muscles have to be bulging? Weight lifting can be exercised so that it only shapes up your body without adding the muscle mass. When you go to a gym, you’ll first talk to your fitness instructor and tell him that you’re a cyclist and that you don’t want to increase your muscle mass. The impact of weight lifting is increasing your physical strength and enabling you to cycle and endure all the exhausting exercises. You shouldn’t be skipping this part of preparation, because it’s one of the basic things for a cyclist. During the winter instead of cycling, cyclists exercise weight lifting. You’ll see that it’s not so bad once you start it.