My son has started training cycling. I can see that he’s persistent and that he likes it very much. He never misses his training and is always looking forward to it. His trainer says he’s very talented and has the capacity to become an excellent cyclist. Can you tell me how to help him use all his capacities? Tell me something about the psychology of cycling.

The basic thing is to offer your son enough support but don’t suffocate him with your expectations and don’t get carried away by your unfulfilled ambitions which you would reflect on him and expect to achieve your goals trough him. Just let him go at his own pace. Motivation is the most important psychological factor, not only when it comes to cycling. That’s what you should encourage in him. You have to stand by him when the first crisis occur, because sometimes when an obstacle appears or when his results are not as good as he has expected, he might want to quit everything. You should teach him discipline but don’t be too rigid. Regular training and correct nutrition are also one of the most important things in cycling.