Ok, a very strange topic I think...

I am a healthy, 16 year old female. I wear glasses and I am short sighted. Even when wearing my glasses, sometimes my vision darkens and blurs like the colours all swirl together for a brief period of approximately 1 minute then it goes away.

This only started happening over the last few months and has been getting more frequent, lets just say 5-8 times per week over the past month.
This also accompanies dizziness so I am not sure if this is an eye problem or not. Not the type of dizziness where you are going to faint, but the type where everything feels like it is spinning.

I am going to see an optomitrist next week anyway...but I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what this could be before next week.

I have epilepsy and experience the same thing pre and post seizure.

Hi, I'm a 16 year old girl also and I have glasses and am nearsighted too. I have the same problem. It has been going on for a couple of years for me and started before I got glasses, so I don't think that it has to do with our eyes. I have had many medical tests done to try and explain the dizzy spells but all have come up negative for any abnormalities. When the dizziness starts, I usually have very recently stood up and I walk a couple of yards before my vision goes dark and I get dizzy. At times the dizziness and the "blackouts" get so bad that I have to grab onto something or sit on the floor to get the episode to pass. If you find out what is wrong with you then I would appreciate an email. ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks fir reading

My wife had a similar problem, I think it is due to anemia. Normally it happens for teenagers like you because you loose lot of blood during periods and because of which you become anemic. You can verify this by getting blood tested for hemoglobin and serum ferratin levels. You cal also solve this by having amla juice every day morning (Indian gooseberry). I hope this solves your problem

Hi, I have nearly the same problem as you, and I'll explain my problem in a little more detail. I am a 15 year old girl, I'm healthy and have regular check ups with my doctor so nothing is out of the ordinary. I am nearsighted and wear glasses. This has been going on for as far as I can remember (like back when I'm 8 years old or so?) and coincidentally, I call them "blackouts" too! I haven't told my parents any of this yet.

My symptoms are: I randomly get dizzy but I am fully conscious and aware of everything going on including when my friends are talking to me or where I am. I lose control of myself for a bit but I regain it back in usually 10-12 seconds. During this time I have to lean on something but I have kind of trained myself to continue the action I was doing before (but on a weaker scale), so if I was talking, I'd just pause, if I was clapping, I'd continue clapping but less enthusiastically, if I was smiling of looking at someone, my smile would falter a bit but I'd keep looking at them. It usually happens around 5 times a week for me. Once I had 3 of them in the same day. This has been happening me for so long that I think it's about time I tell someone about it.

At first I thought it might be related to lack of sleep, so to test this out, I slept for 5 hours a day for 2 weeks and then slept for 10 hours a day for a different 2 weeks. (It was right before a long break from school). The amount of blackouts that happened to me were the same.

If you guys know anything, please help! Thanks!

This is me again! I forgot to mention that when the dizziness occurs, it's accompanied by darkened vision. Imagine your view but with a dark filter put on it. It's mostly darkened around the corners. Sometimes-not all the time- I kind of get a pain in my eyes as if it's been pushed back a little.

Again, all help is appreciated, and thank you!