Slightly unhelpful to say that most people who gain weight post-transplant do so due to lack of food restrictions anymore. Its a fact that the steroids cause the weight gain. Please dont make people like myself feel guilty about weight gain as if its our fault.

I feel you all! Come June 27 I'll be 3 years post transplant! The most miserable year in my life! I'm a disgusting cow now, never been fat that's enough to make me want to reject. I was born with one kidney and I refused dialysis for three years. I started dialysis at 3-5% function...I just refused to be sick, I always felt fine. I would rather have stayed on that then look like a fat disgusting pig that sweats excessivly! Another fun side effect....zero quality of life!

Xanax does not imply a mental illness. I have an anxiety disorder. 27 years on Xanax it's a stress related illness. Nothing mental illness. I've learned so ,much through seeing a shrink that only deals with stress related things. I also have a chemical imbalance not mental illness. I inherited my adrenaline does not turn off. This raised my blood pressure for years and stress caused a rare autoimmune that. Caused kidney failure acutely overnight. I had 2-6 hrs to live you do not want to go back on dialysis. Prednisone w transplant causes bone density problems. They have bit D for that and fosomax the worst is wears out your circulatory system and PD wears out in about 9 years it wears out your peritoneum. Never choose dislysis. Bayou sound depressed common after transplant. See a transplant shrink. My team has one you may have survivors guilt or PTSD. Like me. Good luck. ❤️

My son is in his 7th year of his transplant and I know he has some side effects from the drugs but minor . He has always been a slender kid, but now a 26 he is still slender. He has a slight belly but more noticeable to him and he stays very active with his friends. He is extremely happy and grateful for his second chance at life. He first sought solace in the church. Maybe getting closer to your faith will help tremendously. Accepting your challenges and helping others through theirs. Seek friendship with people that understand and can help and maybe mentor you. You are a valuable human being. Look inside yourself to find out why you were given a second chance at life.

My dr didn't want me to stop steroids, but I insisted. I did my research, and prednisone is not as crucial as it once was. We came up with a plan to wean off SLOWLY (5mg to none over 4 months). I also had blood work done every week. I'm off now, and so far, so good.

I received my transplant in 2016 April 25! I'm on PROGRAF and cellcept! I was on dialysis for 20 yrs....Yes I said 20! I am lost! Grateful to be off dialysis but im lost ! Half my life has been spent on dialysis so it had become my normal! I knew what to expect I knew all the ins and outs! I signed up for transplant but didn't hold out much hope! Now......The drugs have my emotions going nuts and im having these mini aniexty attacks! I've gained a whole person I weight! Myan is getting frustrated because sometimes my attacks happen during sex! I'm constantly obsessing about whether or not my kidney is functioning right! I'm trying to remember when life was before dialysis! Am I normal now? What is normal? I wish life could slow down while I catch my breath! Too much!!

My husband received a kidney 3 years ago. Since the transplant he just sits all day and watches TV. He was on dialysis for 6 years. As he was 65 at the time of the transplant I keep wondering if his age had something to do with the depression. He has SOUND stopoed driving and relies om me for everything. I am really getting to the end of my patience.

my husband had one and divorced me after 42 years. complete personality change

I'm a caregiver to my adult son who got transplanted in De ember 2016 with a cadaver kidney. He is having terrible depression and manic episodes, talking out of his head, he is not eating very well. We are struggling to get him the right doze of medication, he is autistic and needs some friends. Locally, there Ade no support groups here in Chicago with people his age that he can meet and tfalk to. I SSE someone had a 3rd transplant, I wish you well, have wondered about that possibility if this one fails down the road. He thought it would be smooth sailing as this is his second one the first one lasted 5 years and after the initial pain was a dry good experience, so we were looking forward to this second one. Every day brings anew chance that things will improve. Don't change the diet much, and it will last longer. It' a comfort to know you are there to share your stories. Wellwishesto you all.

I'm so glad to have found your post. I had my transplant less than a week ago, and my days have been a rollercoaster ride. I haven't been able to sleep, which in turn has caused me to be incredibly irritable. However, you're right. Dialysis sucks. I know that there is a silver lining, and I'm going to hang on to that sucker.

How are you today? I am faced with Dialysis and or Kidney transplant. This is the starting stages of the whole ordeal. I'll be honest I am more worried about the transplant then the dialysis. My kidney level is at 13% and all though I have read a lot and looked over everything from the doctors I am seriously thinking of not going on dialysis. the risk seems so high, and the accounts on this thread are very worrisome. My wife is also concerned with side effects.

I am facing dialysis soon. Why does it suck. I have had CKD for 15 years now and have just gotten to 13% and i have several appointments to start peritoneal dialysis. I am starting to get stressed about what is going to happen in the next year. and i am kinda worried about a transplant and all the effects everyone has mentioned.

You sound extremely depressed. Maybe you should talk to someone qualified in understanding and helping you through this difficult process. You are very young to be dealing with a regimen of necessary immuno suppressant medications twice daily. I just had a kidney transplant approx 1 month ago and I feel blessed. I was on dialysis for 5 year's and my diet was very restricted. I wish I could say something to help you with your gloomy outlook. I wish you the best. Thing's will get better for you. Maybe your med's are a factor in your depression. Talk to your Dr. about your hopeless feeling's ASAP. Peace

I sure didn't expect a lecture here. I thought this was a support group?

After 5.5 years of transplant I felt suicidal and depressed as f**k about a girl and i think I'm loosing my kidney and my mind I'm not going back to dialysis. My mind was taken after the transplant and the meds. I'm just 24 and in my bed blaming me for everything I don't think I'm going to fight this.