I'm going through something similar Its only been 1 year since my transplant. I hated profraf i almost went bald, I"m now on a new med which is giving me facial hair.. smh!!! I've gained 35 pounds in one year... I hate it!! I was very lucky to have a very sucessful surgery. I was on dialysis for 7 years and I would never want to go back to that life. I was 23 @ the time Im now 30 it was a very stressfull time. I get very depressed at times.

I am 36 I had a kidney/ Pancreas Transplant. A family member gave me a kidney then 8 months later received my pancreas. I am told daily how Greatful I should be for this gift. The truth is I am Greatful, bit no one understands the struggle that we deal with on a daily basis. Doctors don't tell you before you undergo back to back transplants that you may become a mental basket case. That your hair falls out, you gain a pot belly, acne is now a big issue, depression, pain from scar tissue, OCD about germs. This is the first time I've ever spoke out about the negatives of transplant. I will say I do feel blessed to have been given a 2nd chance at life. I am Greatful for Organ Donors and ther life saving gift. So many have grest experiences and I'm so happy for them! We should not feel ashamed to talk about what issues we still have as survivors.

I read these posts and feel guilty. I got a kidney transplant 18 months ago at the age of 59 and have never felt better in my life. My wife and I just hiked up a mountain we had talked about 25 years ago. I work out 4 days a week and have never had a problem with any of my meds. It breaks my heart to read how some transplants don't work out nearly as well as mine has. Mine was an answer to prayer and I pray daily for you who have had so many problems and disappointments and sickness with your transplant. May God heal and give you the peace that only God can provide.

I don't believe in God...

That makes me pray all the more for you. God Bless you

Please don't do that…it's self righteous and creepy. And don't respond to me…I won't be back to this site. Take your imaginary god of the quantum multiverse and shove it.

May God help and bless you

I never smoked, never drank, never did drugs, was never sexually promiscous and was never even sick much when I was growing up, but at age 20 I was diagnosed with kidney disease.  I had no idea there was even anything wrong with me until the doctor found out my kidneys were failing during a routine physical.   Of course all of my friends who smoked, drank, did drugs, and slept around are the picture of health. Go Figure!

The doctors never could figure out what was wrong with my kidneys but they fed me a bunch of prednisone in an attept to save them.  It didn't work but because of the prednisone I I went from beign an attractive, athletic, guy to a fat slob with horrible acne.  I seriously considered suicide but I was too big of a wimp to do it before ending up in the hospital on dialysis, in need of a kidney translant. I guess I thought maybe the doctors were wrong, maybe my kidneys would not fail, my great grandmother lived for over 100 freaking years and her kidneys never failed!

My first kidney transplant lasted 10 years and let me go back to finish college and build a career. After several years of working out at the gym every day I FINALLY lost all the weight and got back to looking normal again.  I thought that kidney transplant would last for, then at age 35 my first kidney transplant failed and I lost everything I had worked for all my life, EVERYTHING!!!!

Honestly the only reason I had a second one is because Euthasia is not legal here in the US and I was scared of going through the process of dying of kidney failure.  I guess in the back of my mind I thought that If I got another kidney I could somehow rebuild my shattered life but that proven impossible because I have been unable to find worke since.  

I am now 42 and just tired of it all. I suffer with constant pain at the site of my 2nd transplant incision because I developed an incisional hernia that had to be repaired with Gore Tex mesh.  I have been to multiple doctors but all o them claim there is nothing they can do to fix it. I also have develoiped osteoporsis from taking prednisone for over two decades.   Of course I cannot work anymore due to my health issues, but the Social Secueoty Administration thinks that I am no longer disabled because I have a functioning transplant.   YEAH RIGHT!!! Who in the hell do these people think is going to hire a 42 year old man who is on his second kidney transplant, and hasn't held a full-time job in years due to being on dialysis.

When the docs tell me my current transplant is starting to fail (and they all fail) I am done!  No more dialysis for me!  I am booking a flight to somewhere where euthanisia is legal (Europe, Oregon, or Washington).  I have no wife or kids and my parents are in their mid 70s,  and are too old to take care of me if I need another transplant.  

My sister just had a kidney transplant. It is successful so far and working fine. Had to bring her back to the hospital twice for infections. She is still getting the shots to maintain her blood sugar. It was done March 2015 and so far i feel that she is just very slow in her recovery. She sleeps all the time and not energy. Can hardly walk on her own, we had to get help that will be with her 24 hours. She is getting tired of taking 15 pills in the morning and same amount at night. In addition the IV drip for anti infection which should be done soon. But she does not seem to be coherent at times and no appetite. I feel that she is very depressed and I am very worried that she has given up. She falls asleep after taking the meds.The family prefers for her to be more awake but really hard to keep her up. She is also having a hard time making the connection to go to the bathroom when she needed to urinate. Often by the time she goes it is too late and we have to let her wear depend. I am not sure what else to do.

You didnot mention your sisters age, however after a kidney transplant 2 years ago it took me about 6 months to recover. I had no energy at all and even a shower wore me out but the doctor told me to force myself to be active and I did. After about 6 months I started to get my strength back and now feels better than I have in many years. I don't know her other health issues but if she forces herself to be more proactive she may find it will make a big difference in the months to come. I hope the best for her and the rest of the family.

I am almost year after kidney transplant and reading what u have said is almost word or word how I am feeling and been feeling it was just me. My transplant Dr even makes me feel like it's just me. Since transplant I now have RA, osteopenia and osteoarthritis so in pain all the time cause meds that help that is immune blockers and already on those so can't take. But it's just hard feeling all this and no one understands.

It makes me sad to read this I too am on my second kidney and my first went brilliant I gained a new lease of life at the age of 16 but sadly now 22 I've just recieved my mums kidney and I'm very depressed and feeling very suicidal which I have never experienced before, I hope things have improved for you in 7 months!!

HI I CAN RELATE I HAVE HAD DEPRESSION AFTER MY TRANSPLANT
WHAT HELPED ME WAS EXERCISE LIFTING WEIGHTS GOING TO THE GYM
ALSO VITAMIN D HELPED
I WISH YOU A LONG AND HAPPY LIFE KEEP FIGHTING

So you are off of Predisone?

I had my transplant a year and a half ago. The first year+ was really hard physically and emotionally. Those drugs make you sick, tired and depressed. I am finally doing better even though my kidney sticks out like a baby on one side and I've never really had the energy I used to have. I hope things get better for you.