I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 about two years ago. I'm a female that is 61 years old. I've noticed that I'm drinking so much water that I'm wondering if that's good for me. I'm constantly having to run to the bathroom. I'm wondering if it is possible to drink too much water and cause harm to my system. The thirst sensation is bothering me as well. I also ache everywhere and I feel somewhat bloated. Could that be fromdrinking so much water? I've heard that drinking a lot of water actually helps diabetes but again how much is a healthy amount?

Believe it or not, too much water is not good for you either. Have you been checking your blood sugars regularly? How are they? If they are not looking too good, it is probably your body telling you it has too much glucose floating around and the cells are starved for nourishment. If your readings are good, you could be having other issues like with your thyroid. It would be a good idea to see your physician in either case. It isn't normal to drink nor is it healthy to drink more than 64 ounces of water a day unless you are working hard and sweating it out. If you are retaining water, that isn't a good thing either. Go to your doctor as soon as possible and let me know what he says.

People with diabetes often experience excessive thirst. To relieve this symptom, they drink a lot of water. High blood glucose levels cause the kidneys to excrete glucose. This causes water to follow increasing the production of urine. An increase in water volume in your body will tend to make you ache all over and make you feel bloated. It comes with being diabetic. Don't try to take in less water thinking that will resolve the problem. Taking in less water allows glucose and toxins to build up in your blood. This will worsen your diabetic condition.

So, how much water should you drink everyday? On the average, you should take somewhere between 8 to 10 glasses (8 ounce glass, 1 cup) per day. If you are involved with intense workouts, you will need more water as you are losing water to sweating. Try to avoid drinks that contain sugar to resolve your thirst issue. Mineral water and filtered water are good choices when you are trying to keep yourself well hydrated. If you are constantly drinking water due to thirst, your blood sugar levels may be out of control. Chances are you will need to monitor your blood sugar levels more often and be careful to choose proper foods to prevent glucose swings. I hope that helps.