I keep having breaks when I am cycling. Some of my friends told me that I must have been out of my mind and suggested that I should have my head examined. As the racing season peaks we are eager to make the most of our hard-earned fitness, but few of us consider this time of year as good time to take a break. Do you make breaks when cycling?

Yes, I do. Taking a nice break during the season will sound like a heresy to most of the riders. However this may be the best thing you can do for your body. If you want to reach your maximum potential and stay there long enough you may start thinking of having a break right after you peak. It is wise to do that while you are still riding well, rather than when you are already losing the edge. Late season goals are often not achieved just because the rider is trying to squeeze everything he can out of his good form. It leaves him physically and psychologically drained. So you are on the right track. Keep up the smart work.