Anybody do this? In my hunt for a second job I dropped a note to the Ballys regional office, and they just called me back. They have some openings for pt's, but I need to get certified. I checked on line and a class (online) is like $125.

What do you think?

a friend of mine is doing something similar. He is working with the YMCA, it has provided him with some nice perks. the class is free, he paid for the books, and has to volunteer a certain number of hours at the Y. I know you're looking to make some money here, but maybe there's something like that, that you could do to get certified.

Would this take place of your current job, or be in addition to?
Would you get free lunch?

Great idea. I will def. check out the local Y.

ain't no free lunches.
No just a supplemental income. I figure if I can work out for free and get paid, how bad can it be?

I see some turnover with the pt's at my fitness center and more and more often now 'regular' members take the job. Between the muscle bound guys and aerobicized women, having more trainers with a running bias can only be a good thing. Go for it!!

Maybe you should also look into dog training.

monk25, I also thought about doing this. Check out the following sites: http://www.acefitness.org/ http://www.body-basics.com/ Let me know how it goes, then I'll decide if I want to take the plunge....

ain't no free lunches.
Well, you could get a client like me....."but I don't want to lift weights, they are heavy. I don't want to run, the treadmill goes too fast. But I don't want to....hey, you're a bum because I put on 5 lbs"

i have thought about it
you know having clients and stuff
thought it would be cool
probably tough until you get a few people then if you work out (pun) you will likely get referrals
sounds like a nice thing to do
if nothing else at least you will learn something

As a fitness professional, I would suggest you go to school to learn, at a minimum; anatomy, kinesiology, exercise physiology, exercise testing and prescription, nutrition and weight management, human development and aging, and human behavior and psychology. Then I would suggest that you become certified through a nationally recognized organization such as the ACSM or ACE.
For those of us that do this for a living, nothing ruins our reputation more than somebody who "works out a lot" and then becomes a "trainer".

I agree 100%
I got out of the field mostly because yahoos in charge don't get that an 18 year old girl with 3 days of training shouldn't be giving out info., wrong info that is because the people who know better have to undo the damage and our credibility goes down the drain. It's a he said she said war!

Anybody do this? In my hunt for a second job I dropped a note to the Ballys regional office, and they just called me back. They have some openings for pt's, but I need to get certified. I checked on line and a class (online) is like $125. What do you think?

You can get certified to be a personal trainer online? How do they know whether you have the physical credentials to do this? For all they know, you could be some bedridden, 400 pound loser who lives with his mommy and has a fry daddy sizzling away next to his cable modem. I take all my appraiser courses online now. Ever fried your own pork rinds? Delicous!

There is a certification you can get on-line where you have a friend videotape you demonstrating proper form for various weight-lifting exercises. That and a multiple choice test and you're in (sad, but I have looked into it too) Not sad to look into it, but sad it's that easy. I think getting the anatomy/physiology classes in first would be a requirement. Apparently, it is not.