I’m 52 years old male and a friend of mine is trying to persuade me to join him in crossfit gym. I’m generally healthy, maybe with a little excess weight but nothing I can’t fix with cutting back some calories, however I do agree with him that some fitness at my age might be a good thing.

What worries me though is that crossfit seems to be really demanding and everyone does the same exercises until they’re completely exhausted. That all seems to carry a big risk of injury so it might end up doing me more harm than good. Is crossfit suitable fitness program for older people?

it's generally considered that crossfit is for everyone, no matter the age, but obviously there are some precautions not only people your age, but anyone who hasn't exercised in a while, should take into account to minimize the risks for injury.

First and most important thing is, even though crossfit is high intensity training and its goal is for you to be completely exhausted at the end of the workout which includes both cardio and weight lifting, you should pace yourself and follow your own limits.