Hi all. Recently I’ve seen a street dog. He was freezing so I took him in for a night. I’ve noticed that he had these small lumps on his paws. I didn’t know what it was so I didn’t touch it. I could not afford to take him to the vet at the moment so I did nothing hoping that it is nothing serious. Two days ago I’ve noticed something that seems like a small lump on my dog’s paw. I took him to the vet but he assured me that it’s nothing. I’m still a bit worried. Do you know how can I prevent paw lumps in my dog?

Hi there. Well, it probably isn’t anything serious, even though in some cases it can be. Hopefully that wasn’t the case with the street dog you have found.

Now, when it comes to your dog, can you explain exactly how does that thing (the thing you thought it was a lump) look? What did the vet tell you? Maybe it’s  just a simple injury..huh?

I’m not sure there’s any way to prevent lumps except for taking care that your dog doesn’t get injured.

I know that those lumps are often the result of an injury. Is the dog licking it often?

Thank you for your answer, I wasn’t expecting it so quickly.:) Here’s the thing- the vet told me he’s seen it a thousand times and that I have nothing to worry about. But the truth is he didn’t tell me what that is. I know that this is not the result of an injury because I spend pretty much 24 hours with my dog and I would’ve noticed him getting scratched somewhere. On the other hand he does lick it, as it is painful for him. Or maybe it’s itchy, I don’t know.:/ Like I said, it’s not the lump, it just seems as one. The vet told me it isn’t.

Hello. Such a nice gesture. I still believe that this is not nothing dangerous. Like you told us you found him on the street and it is pretty hard for him to be totally healthy. I sincerely hope that those lumps are injuries or maybe some allergic reactions. Lumps generally are not dangerous, but still you need to check them. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent paw lumps in dogs. There are pretty much causes of it, but no one can be prevented 100%. Allergies, demodex mites, bacterial infection are just some of the potential causes of the lumps.

Hey everyone.
It is probably some injuries like others told you. But that doesn’t meant that you don’t need to control it. You need to because you don’t know what might cause those lumps or just one lump.
Maybe it is infection. It can become very serious.
I know that you can’t prevent it but I do know what you should not do – you should never try to squeeze those lumps. EVER.
My friend did it and she made a huge mistake. Her dog was in pain and his paws were infected. That was the dumbest move ever.
Visit the vet, I hope that it is nothing serious.

I’m not sure I was clear enough, the thing that seems like a lump is not on the street dog, it’s on my dog’s paw now. The street dog had several lumps but I took him in only for a night and I didn’t do anything about it cause, honestly I didn’t have the money for the vet. And then after that, 3 days ago, I noticed this thing on my dog’s paw. Seems like a lump too.

I already went to the vet, but he told me that it’s nothing serious. He didn’t tell me exactly what it is, but he said everything is ok and there is no need to panic. I guess I was panicking a bit at the clinic. Anyway, I am still curious about this thing. It’s still here. But it seems different now. It does look like a lump though. Could it be that the vet made a mistake?

I don’t think so.

I understood you well the first time, even though your post was a bit confusing. :)

I still think that it’s probably nothing serious. You know, sometimes these things can be really serious, they could be tumors and that’s very hard to treat.

But I believe that your vet would definitely recognize a tumor or even something that seems like one and he would run some tests. Since he told you that everything is ok, you can calm down.:)

And about your question, there’s several causes of lumps and you can’t prevent all of them in the same way.

Hello everyone.

I have a dog and I am preventing this. Maybe it sound weird for you but I always clean my yard. He is three years old, he is really playful and he is spending a lot of time in my yard.

The reason why I am doing this is because we were cleaning our house a year ago, we had garage sale and he hurts his paw with some nail. Since then I am cleaning my yard and my house. That is the way to prevent this in your yard.

But outside of your house, I think that you can’t prevent it. All you can do is to heal it on time.

Good luck.