Hey. My Hugo is now 8 years old. I hate seeing him getting old cause it seems to me that it was only yesterday when he was still a puppy. He is now moving around much harder than he used to before, he is not enjoying long walks cause he seems like he is in pain.

I took him to the vet several times and he says the problem is arthritis. Hugo’s breed is more prone to arthritis than some other breeds, plus he is and older dog.

Can you tell me some home remedies for healing arthritis in older dogs?

Hey there.

Well this definitely requires a treatment by someone who is an expert, but there are a couple of things that you can do alone at your home. They are safe and good for your dog.

Here are some tips :

• Walk with your dog up to 40 minutes two times a day,
  • 20 minutes of cardio running once a week can help im a lot,
  • Walking in the city is also a good idea,
  • Avoid processed foods,
  • No bread or grain for dog who is diagnosed with arthritis,
  • No milk products for your dog,
  • You can give him natural supplements .

Hey Dalmatian lover,

Your Hugo is still young, he's got many more years to live. :)

First of all, you need to know that you cannot heal arthritis. You can only ease your dog's pain by giving him medications and stuff.

You need medications to kill his pain. There are a lot of different medications for this so I would advise that you consult your vet about this.

When it comes to things that you can do while at home, you could give him a massage from time to time. It doesn't really help with arthritis but it helps to make your dog relax. :)

Hey guys,

Ruby is right, you can't heal arthritis, Dalmatian Lover. 

Everyone is using pain killers nowadays as a treatment for arthritis. First step would be that you consult your vet about what type of medications should you use for your dog. 

The second thing you can do is to feed your dog with additional nutritional supplements. This is good because it could replenish your dog's cartilage.

The last thing that I know of and that could help with arthritis is your dog's weight. People say that if your dog weights less, he will be in less pain. That somehow makes sense, there is less pressure on the joints.

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who owns a dog with arthritis and he told me that his main goal is to try to keep him walking every day for about an hour. He said that his dog can no longer run or jump unless he is using pain killer medications, but because his dog is not using these medications, he needs to walk.

He says that he is feeding his dog with only natural food, and he avoids to give him any medications. He is not giving milk to his dog and he is massaging him on a daily basis. 

By following these things, his dog seems to be doing okay. :)

Hello. I agree with rubylock. Hugo is one young dog. I am sure that he still needs to spend a lot of time with you. I think that the best option in treating arthritis in older dogs are medications that the vet will prescribe for your dog. I know that glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements are very good and widely used supplements in dog’s die program. A lot of vets are prescribing it to dogs who have those problems. But it can only help your dog but unfortunately it can’t heal him. Noon can heal arthritis. But with proper treatment your dog can be very fine.  

Hello there everyone. I have a dog who is diagnosed with arthritis. He is 8 years old. Well, almost 8 years old. You can heal it but you can't treat it because you don’t want your dog to be worse. My dog wants appreciate muscle massage all the time. That stimulates blood flow to atrophying muscles. I give my dog massage all the time and I see that he likes it. Of course, I am giving him some medications with this. I still believe that this is an amazing combination. My dog is fine and sometimes I think that he is perfectly healthy.

Hey everyone,

I agree with what Jake just wrote, you should be giving your dog massages every day actually, if you have the time for it. 

That is some sort of a home remedy that you can use, I guess. I'm not sure that there are real home remedies for this, actually. People usually just buy painkillers and they give them to their dogs. Less weight could help I guess, it means less pressure to the joints.

Your dog needs to be in the move. Although it will hurt while he's walking, he must walk every day for not less than half an hour so he can at least have some sort of exercise.