My eye doc told me I have calcium deposits inside my lower eyelids. What causes this? At first I thought I had an eyelash or a piece of trash inside my eyes but after the eye exampnation the doctor told me it was calcium deposits. What causes them and how can I get rid of them? Thank you for an answer.

i wish i knew what caused mine? i have been on steriod drops and nothing helps? i feel like i have something in my eye? help?

I know exactly how you feel Manda! I am suffering with the same thing under my right eye lid I went to the doctor and he told me that it was calcium deposits and that it was nothing he could do about them, because if he would try to remove them they would just fill up again. I am having so much problems with this I constanly pick at my eye because it feels like I have something in my eye all... of the time this is miserable my eye has become smaller than the other because of the stress it's under because I can't stop picking at it. I am going back to the doctor today 6/26/08 and try and see if he came up with something I can do if not than I want he to refer me to a specialist that have studies this problem I can't believe with all of the technology today they have no one that can help us get calcium deposit remove that is causing us all these problems. Somebody has to know what to do about this this is an on going discomfort: :'(

Guys right now I'm suffering irritated right eye. This started 4 days ago when I was about to sleep after my routenary internet session for more than 2 hours. I felt that their is dirt inside my eye. I put some eyedrops but still I feel uneasy. I checked using the mirror hoping its just an eyelash that has entered into my eye. I tried rubbing it until my eye becomes more red and the following day I started having a teary eye. My eyelid becomes inflammed due to the rubbing and wiping of the tears. I tried to recall because this happened to me before and as far as I can remember I start having this problem everytime I take calcium supplement. Can anyone discuss more about this? Is it because of too much calcium and how did it happen? I know for a fact that our blood contains calcium. Can anyone explain this thoroughly?

There's multiple causes for calcium deposits but there's three that I can tell you about that might be possible in your diet. YOu might be low on vitamin D, which can cause calcium deposits in the body. You also may be low on magnesium, because magnesium pairs with calcium in the body and keeps calcium deposits from cropping up in the body. Or you might also be deficient in vitamin K. It causes calcification of arteries but it can cause calcification elsewhere in the body. I hope that this information is helpful! I hope that all of you feel better soon.

Thank you all for this discussion. I have had calcium deposits in the inside of my lower left eye, also causing pain, irritation, and constant dismay. I try not to touch my eyes, and regularly use any and all eyedrops to relieve the redness and swelling. I have found a small amount of relief from using thicker gel eyedrops before bed. I would love a solution, my eye doctor also told me there is nothing he can do.

I am going to try and supplement my diet with these vitamins, and if I see any relief I will post a reply.

I have had an eye problem for bout a week. Feels like something is scratching the side of my eye. the worst of it comes in the morning when i first wake up. so for the first hr or two i am puting eye drops in, and then it starts to fell better still fells like something in my eye just no longer fells like it is getting scratched. But who wants to wake up to thatevery morning.I had one eye doc tell me it was from calcium deposit. and another doc diagreed. monday 3-28-11 i have an app to see an eye specialest. im not sure if it is a calcium deposit but what ever it is it gives me the blues for the first 1-2 hr of my day. sometimes i have to call work and tell them i will be late till my eye gives me some relief. when i look in my eye i can see a small bump on the uppper right hand coner of my eye lid and thats where i feel the pain till i put alot of eyedrops to which i think from all the eye drops soften the bump to which i have some relief not all better but much improved. i use an eyedrop call systane ultra it is a lubricant eye drop. i hope this helps some people cuz i fell ur pain and I hope some people have some info on what i just wrote good luck to all

p.s the eye doc that said there is nothing they can do I bet never had to go threw this. get a second or even a third opp.

to "guest 3/24/11"... from my experience, it sounds as if you are having "stye" problems. small fluid filled pimples(if you will) on the edge of your eyelids. these will rub up and down on your eyeball causing itching, blurred vision from rubbing and constantly make you feel as if something is in your eye!... they're are annoying for sure. sadly, the only cure i have ever known is to wash my hands good, roll up my eyelid and push on the stye lightly until it pops. then a small amount of fluid comes out. immediately afterward, i place lubricating eye drops in my eye and a cold rag over my eye.... a few minutes later, i'm good to go.

as far as the "CALCIUM DEPOSITS" everyone is discussing, i had those as well. about 3 weeks ago i began feeling like there was an eyelash in my left upper eyelid. my wife checked it thoroughly, nothing there. so i waited a few more days thinking it would go away. NO SUCH LUCK!!.... it only became more and more irritating. so off to the opthamologist i went. she curled my eyelid up and immediately said there were 2 small calcium deposits on my eyelid! then she promptly removed them with a small device gave me a prescription for a an ocular cream antibiotic that i used twice daily for 5 days....... end of story, eye pain completely gone. my eye did still feel a little irritation for the first few days afterwards(perhaps from mild scratching during removal) but is perfect now. she said they can appear at any time due to multiple causes, but not to worry unless they occur often. then blood tests should be taken to determine possible causes of chemical imbalance.

hopefully everyone will find their exact cause!........ but deposits can be removed!!

i get them too sometimes, just don't touch it and it goes away in a couple of days. it's not serious, don't worry about it .

I have gotten these under my upper lids off and on for years.  Sometimes ophtho doc can take them off in the office if there are just a few.  Today I had just a couple under one eyelid and he guessed about 400 on the other, some in clumps.  He took digital photo and showed me inside of both eyelids.  Truly amazing.  I wear a contact lense in that eye and not the other so in this case, I imagine it has something to do with the lenses.  The lense creates a barrier between lid and eye so it doesn't hurt until I take the lense out.  Surgery on Monday.  Oh joy......

I work for an ophthalmologist and I started these tiny clear red bumps on the inside of my left lower eyelid a couple of months ago. It would irritates and at times my left eye would feel sore from all the stress it is under. My left eye appears to be smaller than my right eye due to this condition by the way. Anyways, today my left eye had some pain and it really bothers me due to scratchy and grittiness sensation. I finally asked my boss if he could exam my eyes. He concluded that I have dry eyes that causes all these symptoms (He is an expert in Dry Eye Syndome by the way) and I also have calcium deposits. He removed the calcium deposit (just a little of it where I was complaining of the scratchy feeling) and gave me samples of Genteal Gel Drops to be used every 3-4 hours throughout the day along with the Genteal Gel Ointment at bedtime. He also suggested Zaditor to be used twice daily. So far, this has help me alot and have not complain about any symptoms at all that I previously experienced. I will be continuing these eye drops for couples of weeks and will intermittently check on my left eye to see the status. My boss did said if the symptoms does not improve with the eyedrops then he would remove the calcium deposits. 

I hope this will help you out a bit. I hope you find a good eye doctor who truly cares about their patients. I am greatful to have an awesome boss!!

cut back on your intake of calcium sources like cheese milk and dairy product that's all. just try and see for at least two weeks

no dairy dorducts.:-)

I have the same issue. Dunno if its calcium deposits. As its not continuous it come and goes many times during the day. I work a lot on my computer and I've noticed this has happened every time I've been stressed. Right eye upper eyelid.

Please email me about your outcome of your surgery. When I was in my 20's (I am 52 now) I used to wear exended wear contact lenses and used to get lots of Calcium deposits under-neath and inside my eyelids, he used to scrape them off with a small scapel. Well, now, because of all the scar tissue, it is causing huge problems to my cornea .... creating a whole in the cornea where bacteria is setting in because the scar tissue is irritating my cornea so much. I can't seem to find a SPECIALIST who would do surgery to get rid of the scar tissue. Does any one have any ideas? My eye doctors can't seem to find anyone who does this kind of surgery. HELP!!!!! I am so frustrated and anxious. Thank you!

I just came from the eye Dr. less then an hour ago. I have had the calcium deposit problem for years and I go in every few and he picks them out. Mine seem to "attack" at night, always between 2AM and 4AM. I wake in extreme pain. I have to hold my eyes open for a few minutes, go through about 20 klenex, squeeze in some eye gell and after about 45 minutes total the pain lessens enough that I can go back to bed. It's time to see the Dr. when this happens more often the a couple of times a month.

I understand the concerns and problems about calcium carrying products but it's a compound problem for me as I have sever osteoporosis and must add calcium to my diet.

The good news is that even though it feels like sand in your eyes I do not believe it actually damages them. I have been living with it for years and as I said every couple of years the Dr. removes them. I have broken bones, been pretty beat up as an amateur boxer, been stabbed, but nothing hurts, or has caused me as much pain as these calcium deposits.