Hi, I'm a 24 year old Male, I was diagnosed with acute epididymitis about 3 weeks ago and began taking antibiotics. The week before my swelling arose, I was very constipated for about 6 days and was hardly able to pass any stools. I have several questions about my condition, recovery time, and swelling. My Epididymis is still slightly swollen and hardened almost, it is not very painful however I sometimes have a very acute pain. My Vas Deferans (sp?) is very slightly swollen still however I feel no more pain in my groin. My GP started out by prescribing me Levaquin and 500 mg Ibuprofen and referred me to a urologist. I honestly feel like my urologist wasn't extremely familiar with this condition because he only gave me a 7 day prescription of Doxycyline (sp?) and Indomethacin. On my follow up there was still a little bit of swelling and he then prescribed me 7 days of Cyprofloxacin. Which I felt was worthless. However I completed all three week cycles of the antibiotics. I am scheduled to leave for the Air Force this coming November and I will be training for special operations. My training program will be extremely rigorous when I begin Combat Control training. So here are my questions.
1. Is the swelling in my epididymis normal after 3 weeks of treatment? How do I distinguish chronic epididymitis from residual, recovery time, swelling?
2. The cause was never determined of my epididymitis, I am extremely active and run 4-8 miles 4 times a week as well as a lot of swimming gym work etc. It was assumed that sterile urine backtracked into my urethrea and made it's way into my spermicidal chord etc.. howver I am curious if straining from constipation could have possibly onset this.
3. It's been about 3 days since my antibiotics ended. Will I have plenty of recovery time to resume training in 5 weeks? That will leave 8 weeks total recovery.
4. And Lastly, will running while it is still slightly swollen aggrevate the condition and inflame it again?
Any help would be so helpful!! Thanks

Hi there, you should be recovered in time to start running again--however, you do need to check with your doctor to make sure that's the case. They will be able to help you with something like that. And if you do run, it can aggravate your symptoms, so wait until you're fully recovered, okay? Let me know how you're doing!

Hi there, did you ever find out any answer from your doctor about running again? I'd like to hear what the outcome was for you. If you're still around, can you let me know? Thanks!