I an 44 had a baby 20 months ago. I have been doing endurance sports for 5 years. The pregnancy brought on my SVT and I took meds during pregnancy to keep it under control. After I had the baby the SVT went away. From july2014-October 2014 I did multiple triathons including an 70.3 ironman . About a month ago the SVT can back and I'm having an ablation done to hopefully correct it, so that I can continue with my love of sports. There are so many things you can do to help with this don't give up'

I agree. I excercise regularly and so far my episodes have only happened twice in 16 months...and always during the night while sleeping. I see two cardiologists and both say this is a benign condition and unless it happens frequently medication/alblation is not necessary. Watch for triggers, i.e. alcohol, but I've been told and read excerice reduces episodes and serverity of common SVTs.

I agree, since I have started speed walking (3.5-4.0 mph 1/2 per day, heart rate 105-110) my SVT are almost non existent. Also, I have reduced my caffeine and alcohol intake which furthered my time between attacks. In my opinion when an ablation is not an option and medicine does not work, this is the best alternative. When I stop exercising my SVT become more frequent. 47 year old male with SVT since the age 27.

what if you had an existing heart condition, such as damage from a past heart attack?

I don't know what I should be doing. I was to commence boot camp although having undergone a rest/stress sestamibi yesterday I only achieved 4 mins on a bike due to SVTs. The cardiologist asked me to block my nose like when you pop your ears, straining and he massaged my carotid artery to reduce the heart rate. I commenced the bike on 71 bpm increasing to 200 bpm in 4 minutes, I could have continued although it was ceased. I have an apical aneurysm from an old heart attack which resulted in a mini-stroke although that was 17 years ago. I want to exercise although need to revisit my cardiologist to give the okay. It's frustrating when you're restricted to exercise.

what surgery? Catheter ablation? my doctor said it cures SVT?

Have you been taking meds as well?

How lucky you are that both self cardiovert and adenosine works for you and you continue with high intense exercise , for people who have other heart problems on top of svt this can be dangerous and also to add to it adenosine doesn't work for everyone and they need cardioversion after cardioversion, your advice is sutible for your body and a inspiration to others pleased it works for you but let's remember when we give advice there's people with more than svt also getting svt and it's dangerous to over exercise , also this situation can be after a failed ablation , we are all different .

I've also suffered from SVTs for many, many years. They are scary, unsettling, disruptive and can ruin your quality if life if frequent or long lasting. Most SVTs happen for no reason but there are many known triggers like caffeine, stress, some medications, physical activity, coughing, sneezing and many, many others. Persistent/sustained episodes ( many hours) symptomatic( shortness of breath, chest pain, fainting etc) can be dangerous, and may need immediate evaluation. SVTs can occasionally end up in heart failure, so, ideally they should be properly evaluated by a cardiologist and treated depending on the severity, frequency, associated symptoms, tolerance and how it affects quality of life, besides other considerations like age, other concurrent medical conditions etc. Exercise level depends on the above mentioned factors. Putting the heart at more pressure during an episode is not wise because the faster the heart pumps/ the smaller amounts of blood it ejects with each beat...and I don't see the need to cause yourself a heart attack due to this self imposed stress. I think the reasonable way is to go is to try different types of sports and or exercises That feel personally comfortable for you and I would consider slowing down the activity during an episode and implement the known techniques till it subsides....then back to it.

I'm with you!! I believe exercise is the best way to make your beats stronger so that you won't have too many episodes.

I would love to be medicine free but in my case excercising sent me into a 3 day bout of SVT and Adenosine did not work. I was admitted overnight before they could get my heart rate down.