I read all over the internet how so many have limited range of motion in the big toe. Because I'm 3 weeks post op, I want to make sure that I can lprevent this limitation as much as possible. I found the following to be very informative:
http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/pdf/323.pdf

Hey! The exercises are the key if you want to recovery after this procedure.A painful little toe is very common after this procedure, I felt this pain for more than 4 weeks after the procedure. But it seems that this is normal. I was doing one exercise that really helped me a lot. You should do it as well, at least, try it,  here is what you need to do - grasp the big toe near the base of the toe close to the big toe joint. Do not make a mistake. If you are not sure how to do that then you should consult with someone who is professional about this. 

Yes, it's very important to do stretching exercises after your bunion surgery to prevent stiffness.

I appreciate the info. My doctor told me I wasn't going to start PT until 6 weeks after surgery. "Wiggle your toes" was the only thing he said to do until PT. Your information was a bit more specific & encouraging.
Thanks.

Ruby,

I'd double check with your doc. 6 weeks sounds like a long time to wait for any stretching exercises.

I'm in a DynaSplint and it's great. (Dyna for dynamic) The idea is to keep the stretch for 30-50 mins and to increase the tension every day or so....

The fact that I can stretch my and bend my toe at 3 wks post-op is what is allowing me to walk better. With stiff toe I could not walk properly but limped instead. Scar tissue can build up in a short time so I'd double check....even call a PT dept and ask a Physical Therapist their opinion on when to start stretching.

You obviously don't want to damage yourself if for some reason your case is different and you must wait for some reason.....but I'd check around....

Can you tell me a little more about a DynaSplint? I haven't heard anything about it and i didn't know that they existed. Will you let me know what makes it so great? Thanks!