People keep talking about importance of running shoes. Not all the shoes are the same, we all know that. What is the best running or walking shoe? Are running and walking shoes different? So what should I do when I go to the shoe store? A friend of mine suggested that I should choose shoes according to terrain? Is that so?

Many people are making mistake of buying shoes because of their style and looks. That is not wise. Foot structure, foot shape, type of activity and overall health are the most important factors to consider when buying the shoes. Your foot type is the key to select the best shoes. Since there are three types of foot structure (low arch, normal arch and high arch), there are also 3 main types of running shoes: stability shoes (made for the people with normal arch whose feet do not go through extreme motions), motion control shoes (they prevent excess pronation with people who have flat feet) and shock absorbing/cushioning shoes (designed for the high arched foot that tends to excessively roll outward). Beside the important things there are also other factors that have to be taken into consideration such as: the type of terrain (grass, trails, treadmill, asphalt, etc.) running regimen (how many miles will you be running), and possible injuries from the past (stress fractures or tendonitis) and/or knee pain.