I know that not all the shoes are the same. What is the best running or walking shoe? I also think that running and walking shoes are different. So what am I to do when buying shoes? Should I choose shoes according to terrain? Or should I use some other criteria?

Many people buy shoes for their style and looks. That is wrong. The most important factor one should consider when buying the shoes are: foot structure, foot shape, type of activity and overall health. The key to select the best shoes is your foot type. There are three types of foot structure: low arch, normal arch and high arch. There are also 3 main types of running shoes: motion control shoes (they prevent excess pronation with people who have flat feet), shock absorbing/cushioning shoes (designed for the high arched foot that tends to excessively roll outward) and stability shoes (made for the people with normal arch whose feet do not go through extreme motions). The other factors that have to be taken into consideration are: running regimen (how many miles will you be running), the type of terrain (grass, trails, treadmill, asphalt, etc.) and possible injuries from the past (stress fractures or tendonitis) and/or knee pain.