Hi when my penis is erect, my foreskin retracts behind the purple part of my penis. When the erection starts, I can feel the foreskin going back and it goes about half a cm behind the purple. When I go soft again, the foreskin is behind the purple part. Is it normal for the foreskin to retract upon erection and is it right to have the purple part showing or covered up?

Hi Guest,

Your foreskin SHOULD retract behind your glans (head) when you get an erection.  That's NORMAL.

When you aren't erect the glans is normally covered but it may not always be.

You should be able to fully retract your foreskin easily by about age 16.

Is the purple part called the glans and is it normal for the foreskin to retract that far behind the purple part?

Yes, the head of the penis, purple part, it's the glans.

Yes, the foreskin should retract well past it. The foreskin should really slide up and down your shaft freely. Again, by about 16 or so.

Also, this has been troubling me for a while, when I get an erection my bum tenses up a great deal... Do you know why this is?

It can happen Guest.

The nerves for your genitals and anus are closely related. The genitals and anus are what's called erogenous zones. You can be stimulated there.

It's not a problem. You may find you enjoy it.

Thank you medic dan

It is normal for some guys to have the glans come out of the foreskin when they get an erection. Having the glans exposed or covered is completely normal either way. Most guys want to pull their foreskin back anyway so you are lucky, yours does it automatically.