My mother had her gall bladder removed nearly 2 months ago and about a few days after having the surgery she became very depressed. She is an insulin dependent diabetic also. I was wondering if there is a link between the 2 that could be causing the depression. She has been to a number of doctors and they have given her pristiq for the depression but it just doesnt seem to be helping.

Major surgeries such as gall bladder removal have been known to cause depression in a small number of patients. Post-operative depression may be an after effect of anesthesia. Uncontrolled fluctuations in blood glucose level can also cause depression. Regular physical exercise and psychotherapy may be helpful.

Hi there,
Your mother is having a lot of health problems and being diabetic is not helping her in any way. Now the surgery of gallbladder removal is not a simple one and you have to understand that there is a process of healing. However she should be fine after two month from surgery. The thing is that she might be having this problem because she is often sick and she can’t take it anymore. I don’t think that there is direct link between gallbladder surgery and her depression, but just accumulation of all the health problems that she is having. It would be good for her to see a professional to find some help.
Best wishes,
Marco

I had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago and am experiencing a lot of depression and am very emotional. I have been taking Cymbalta for years for depression, but have not had the level of this depression that I'm feeling since before I started taking it. What can I do to help this!