Hi everyone,
I'm a new poster so hope I have come to the right place. I have often wondered about my problem and I really hope someone can help.

In 1986 at the age of 24 I had an open cholycystectomy before the days of keyhole obviously.

Apart from a very large scar I haven't really had any problems, except....

I seem to have some kind of allergy to ? opiates and Loperamide.

The problem is this: If I have diarrhoea such as on holidays or just a touch of gastroenteritis, I am unable to tolerate any diarrhoea remedy as far as I know. I daren't even try them anymore as my reaction to them is very severe. Totally unable to breathe, like a very bad asthma attack although I don't actually have asthma. It comes on gradually sometimes within a few minutes of me taking the medication. It reaches a peak where I literally think I am about to die and then starts to ease off. I have seen my doctor whilst this has happened and he said it was a panic attack. I realise now that it wasn't.

The reason I also think I have an allergy to Opiates is I had another operation a few years ago for something inrelated. Afterwards the anaesthetist gave me Morphine. I then proceeded to have another of these 'attacks'. The anaesthetist was called and came to talk to me when it had passed. He explained he had seen this in rare cases when a patient has had gall bladder removal and had I had this done? I was happy to tell him indeed I had many years previously and I had always wondered what these 'attacks' were. However since then I have never been able to find out anymore and my own GP didn't know of this.

My question is if I get diarrhoea, (and I suffer from IBS occasionally so this does happen), is there anything at all I can take without it causing these severe symptoms. I really wouldn't ever risks taking the normal ones (eg Imodium) ever again as I think one day these attacks might actually kill me.

Thank you so much if you are able to help. I would love to know what is happening to me when these attacks happen. (I haven't had one for years now thank goodness now I know what is causing them)

love
ruby-rose

:-D

Hi Ruby, I have family who suffer from symptoms like this and I'd like to know a couple quick things if that's okay? If you suffer from this, do you avoid caffeine at all? I'd just like to know because I know that can cause diarrhea that seems incurable if you drink coffee or soda on a regular basis. Is that accurate?

Someone told me that doctors don't like to give opiates to people without gallbladders, dont' know why. My husband uses Citrucel which is a bulk additive that really helps prevent diarrhea. I take calcium supplements which used to constipate me terribly and that pretty much prevents diarrhea

That's highly unusual but I think it makes sense. I think that the gallbladder helps with digestion in a few ways that I'm not totally clear on still and it probably affects your absorption of the drug into the body. I also have discovered that increasing your intake of hard cheese and rice can very much help prevent diarrhea if you are concerned about that. Thanks for your insight arriba :)

I had my gallbladder removed about five years ago and was totally dumbfounded by paiful,breathtaking and almost crippling pain in my stomac. I was certain there was seriously a problem and when I asked my doc he said i should get used to the idea that I would have to dealw ith them and live with it. Thats was so discouraging to hear and also made me really fear the next time it would occur. I would experience these painful and sometimes doubled over and moaning in pain agony stomach aches. Narcotic pain relievers were the worst idea to relieve the pain i ever had, tried taking percocet from my mom and it ended up increasing the pain exponentially more thru my rib cage and made me feel like i was unable to breathto a point of actually screaming out loud and rolling on the floor of my home. I spent two years praying I was able to avoid another stomach ache and finally after maybe five or six a month for two years I was determined to find something to alleviate this gut twisting and lung locking pain they brought me and I have them still today but I found a solution that 9 times out of ten really worked. I needed to burp and eating, which was the last thing I wanted to do during these episodes, eating made my body force itself to burp and relieved the mounting pressure inside my torso until I would burp and the gas I let out was so helpful for dropping the pressure I felt inside,like being punched in the stomach only having the feeling of the hit lasting one time 4hours it lasted. I learned that eating really truly helped me reduce the pain and the length of time the pain lasted. Its still happening but if I feel it and make a point to deal with it asap by eating then I was able to beat it beofre it got so bad I was on my knees and screaming in pain. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to one starting to being and I am at least able to know theres something I can try to do about it. Narcotic pain meds are my enemy in the fight against this pain in my stomach and I learned to avoid them,onions often also lead me to experience episodes of this pain also. Alka seltzer Ive found also helps some with reducing the length of time Im hurting from them.
If you had your gallbladder removed and get these episodes of stomach pain tightening of your chest and feelings of breathlessness...try to eat something simple crackers,yogurt,and it may help you. I had a friend who one day was suddenly complaining of severe pain in her stomach and to me she appeared to walking laying and hunched over like I had ended up beingso many times. I asked her if she had her gallbladder still and she said nope, it was removed like me. I asked her to try to eat,her response was like I first responded to the idea of eating,she tried to deal with it for about ten minutes and funally after my constant nagging her to eat she said fine and forced several bites down her throat. Within another five minutes she was thankingme for my persistence and telling me how she felt so much better after she ate a little and burped. she said she had been suffering thru these stomach aches for a while and never was she able to find any way to relieve the pain,until then. So think about the eating idea I have found to work if this pain in the stomach after gall bladder removal is something your experiencing like me.