HI, my neighbor lost some weight in the last month, he was rarely going out from his flat because of the fevers and headaches, and now I heard he was diagnosed with some gemella infection and hospitalized. I am not familiar with this disease, and I would like to know a little more about it. Thanks!

Hi, I heard something about this disease. There are gemella morbillorum and gemella haemolysans. Those opportunistic pathogens can cause some severe infections, such as endocarditis. Infections often occur in previously damaged tissue. Beside endocarditis, common are septic shock, meningitis, arthritis and pneumonia. Gemella infections are hard to be identified, so the patients are often diagnosed wrong. These pathogens are gram-positive coccal commensal organisms of the mucous membranes. They can occur in humans and warm-blooded animals.