Hello there!

I've been dealing with either an allergy or intolerance with avocado ever since I can remember. Always, within a minute or two after taking a bite of avocado or guacamole I start gagging and vomit. I react the same way with cantelope too. Might there be anything that can be mixed in with the avocado to keep me from expelling? I found one restaurant that had guacamole that I could eat without getting sick (it's now closed). Any ideas?

I would suggest that you stop eating avocado and cantaloupe, obviously your body is telling you that it is intolerant, there are plenty of other things to eat that will not be rejected.

It's odd that you could eat guacamole and not gag.

I used to eat avacados alotttttt. But out da blue they make my lips itch. I throw up. I can eat 2 bites but i feel bad. Other foods make my lips swell and itchy like watermelon. But if u want dip, go to chilli's. Its da best. Its da only way i can eat avacado without getting sick. Go enjoy urself

thats true but have you had mcdonalds? mcdonalds is super good go there in stead lol

Same with me for avacados and i love guacamole. Add salt it def helps me abd also tastes better :)

Eating raw avocados makes me feel sick. I discovered that adding a lot of lime or lemon completely solves this problem. Everytime I eat guac or avocado, I make sure I add lime and I don't feel sick afterwards. Perhaps this is why you don't feel sick eating the guac at the specific restaurant. It's not uncommon for some people to add lime to guac.

Thanks I will try this, because I have noticed nausea after eating raw avocado too.

I have the same problem... add lots of salt

I used to get really sick too. I discovered adding the lemon pepper tones seasoning helps a lot. And it tastes way better!

OMG, it was difficult to find these threads but it seems more people are having this issue. You made my mouth open when you mentioned cantaloupe because with me it started out of the blue with avocado and then one day I tried a piece of watermelon and I had to run and throw up immediately too. I really want to find out if it is just an allergic reaction or if it is something in my system that is wrong and this is a symptom.

I too can't eat avocados, papayas or watermelon without severe nausea, vomiting. Even if the watermelon is 'hidden' in a drink. I ate a piece of cantaloupe and honeydew today and got so nauseous, retching and a headache.
One of my brother's too can't eat avocados, and we suffer from migraines. Ah well, no more melons of any variety for me...

I had the same problem with avocados, cantaloupe and a few other things. I would tell everyone I was allergic to avocados. I had an allergy test and discovered I was not allergic to avocados, but ragweed. The doctor explained if the avocados are grown in ragweed season, then this is the reason for my reaction when I eat them. This also explains why I could have them occasionally without any adverse reaction.

I have the exact same problem!

It seems we're in the same boat. Avocado and watermelon makes me throw up. I wanna add avos in my diet due to the healthy fats they contain. Will definitely try to add lime to it the next time like one of the posters has posted. Hope it works.