I was diagnosed with psoriasis 5 years ago, the plaques mostly affect the scalp and the behind of my neck and I’m thankful I’ve been free of any major flare-ups for the past year or so. I’ve been using natural products mostly, with an exception for moisturizer. Tea tree oil is what helped me the most, I guess mostly because it’s anti-bacterial, but recently I came across some info that ginger could be very helpful, too because it has anti-inflammatory properties. I’m not quite sure though is powdered ginger as effective as fresh ginger, or if I should use on or the other. And any info on how to use it would be greatly appertained, too since I’ve read some people only drink it like a tea, others use it on plaques… Thanks!

Hello, Guest!  I am so happy that you are able to control the psoriasis plaques you have.  That is wonderful!  I think it is really great that natural products are helping you.  Tea tree oil is a natural antibacterial product that is helpful for many types of things.  Ginger is good for many uses as well.  You can drink it as a tea as you said.  I tend to think the fresh ginger would be best over the powdered.  You don't know if things have been added to the capsules or not.  Let us know how the ginger works for you!

Can anyone else share their experience with ginger for their psoriasis? 

I've had some success treating my psoriasis by drinking tea made from fresh ginger root, fresh turmeric root (and I believe this is key), black pepper (to increase the bioavailability of the turmeric and ginger) and butter (also helps absorb the turmeric and ginger) and ground cloves.

The effect has been a *dramatic* reduction in the amount of scaling as well as a reduction in inflammation.

I don't know how long you have to do this. I've been doing this for a month or two. The drink is rather gritty as I put about four teaspoons of ground black pepper in the 30 oz of tea. And it is very, VERY spicy (due to the ingredients). So it is difficult to drink. But it does seem to significantly reduce the symptoms, and I think there is precious little danger of side effects.

Moreover, it's not very expensive.

I also have been using tea tree oil (sprayed on the plaques.

Some people also use turmeric topically (as a paste made from powder). However, this will make everything strongly yellow skin, clothes, etc. So....be warned.

Good luck.