I had my hammertoe surgery done last Friday, so 3 days ago and it was done on all 4 toes on my right foot. Of course, I still have all pins and bandages in place and am very thankful for my painkiller prescription, but my foot and my toes look so puffy and swollen that I don’t really know is this normal this early post-op, or should the pain and swelling be subsiding by now?

I’m wearing my surgical shoe for most of the time and I’m keeping my foot elevated, but that doesn’t help with the pain or swelling at all. The next checkup I have is in 5 days, due to holidays, so it would help a lot to hear from anyone who had hammertoe correction procedure done.

Hello suze, 

I had the hammertoe surgery procedure done last year, on  my two middle toes on the left foot, and three days post op I was definitely in pain and did need pain killers. Wearing a surgical shue for most of the time should help with the swelling, but more than than that, I used ice pack in 25-30 minute rounds and they were far more effective with both pain and swelling.

My toes continued to look puffy for a while even when most of the swelling and bruising, together with stitches were gone - that's just what comes with the procedure, I'm afraid.

Hello Suze,

you should definitely try ice packs, but if the swelling doesn't start to come down and the pain doesn't subside significantly in the next few days, then there might be a chance that the incision site got infected. So far, things are normal, and should improve noticeably in the next 2-3 days.

In the meantime, try not putting any weight on your right foot, use the surgical shoe as much as you can, keep the foot elevated and hopefully it will get better as the incision site starts to heal up. you're just 3 days post op, and in order for bone to completely heal it can take up to a year, so things are as expected so far.

Hi, thank you for advice on ice packs, it really helped to keep the pain in tolerable levels, without needing to take too many painkillers that I know are addictive (I've been given Tramadol). Unfortunately, the swelling and the pain without ice packs or painkillers are not getting any better so far, but I have my checkup tomorrow and I'll sure mention this to my doctor. Now that I look back and when I look at the long recovery ahead, I'm not so sure I'd opted for hammertoe surgery in the first place - but it's too late now. I just hope the swelling and pain subside soon.