I am so amazed at what I have read. I never knew that there were people out there like me. I have proplems with bunions and corns and I have NEVER been able to show my feet. My husband has NEVER seen my feet. He is understanding and says that it could not be that bad, but I have never been able to bring myself to show him. I have lived with this problem for as long as I can remember and have always hid my feet. It seems like everyone around me has normal feet, except me.

I would love to know the approx. expense for corn removal and how to get your doctor to consent to it. I have tried everything and nothing works. For me, I think that the surgery would be the best option. I am also considering a bunionectomy. Can someone share their experience with me?

how amazing ... i want to get the hammertoe surgery as well but does any one know how much it... im leaving to costarica in the summer and i want to wear nice open toe shoes..........can any one recommended me a doctor im from new york

I can't believe there are so many people out there like me. After hiding my toes for over 20 years I decided I had enough. 5 of the 20 years I consulted with different podiatrist to confirm my options. I opted to have the surgery. I heard procedure like this are best during fall and winter months. I had it done 11/16/07. 7 toes. I had anthesia so I didn't feel a thing. I was out of work for 3 wks. I was off my feet (literally) 3 days. My doctor provided crutches and shoes. I got around just fine, but I also didn't over do it. You will feel it if you do. I walked on my heels. I stayed ahead of the pain by taking prescribed meds whenever I felt the slightest discomfort. There was lots of swelling. My stitches were removed the 2nd week. It felt great to soak them. When I saw my toes the first time post surgery, I almost cried. They were black and blue and HUGE. My doctor kept me encourage. It's all normal. He taped each toe to keep straight and I had this done for 2 additional weeks. Every week I saw progress. I started physical therapy on 12/11/07 (3 times a week). PT was very uncomfortable at first. It got easier. I started wearing tennis shoes around this time. I did outpatient PT for 1 month (however, I still do home exercises ). By late December I started wearing round toe shoes/boots. For the most part, I got all my motorskills back. I'm running and exercising again . As for scars, I can barely tell on 2 of the 7 toes. They are nice and straight. No bumps. Remaining 5 still have incision marks and discoloration, but even with this, they still look better than my toes did before surgery. I apply Vitamin E directly to incision mark. It's working. Everyone heals differently. I wasn't perfect over night, but I see the light. For me, I see it this way...i hid my feet for 20 years, what's 3-6 more months. I have a vacation coming up soon. I look forward to getting my FIRST PEDICURE, wearing open toe sandals and walking along the beach with feet out with confidence!

I always said that my feet were my biggest insecurity. Always was made fun of by family members and trying to find ways to disguise my feet during the summer. My left foot wasn't that bad looking but my right foot was horrible. For some reason my right foot looked like a dinosaur's foot while my left looked semi-normal.
After speaking to my bff about my feet she finally drilled into me that my problem is not that bad, visiting a doctor would be the best solution.

On Feb. 27 I had my left foot done. Had bunion removal, second toe shortening (hammertoe) and my 4th toe straighten. I made the mistake of going back to work 4 days after surgery (definitely take at least 1 1/2 week off). Because of the amount of walking that I did I got a really bad blister on the top of my foot from the rubbing of the bandages. The blister hurt me a whole lot more then the surgery did. I do have some scars but they aren't that bad. I constantly put cocoa butter and vitamin E which is helping a lot, but everyone heals differently. Unfortunately, I got laid off from work due to the recession but I was able to recover properly.

On April 15 I had my right foot done. Since my right foot had a lot more deformities then my left the doctor had to do a lot more. Besides the bunion, fourth toe straightening and second toe hammertoe, I also have a corn on my big toe and second toe. This surgery has definitely been a lot more painful then the first but it’s because the amount of surgical procedures done to it. I got my big toe straighten also which removed the corn on it but I still have the corn on my second toe. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor in a couple of days where I will ask him about the removal of that corn. Generally you will wear a surgical shoe for 3 weeks then change into sneakers but I had to wear my surgical shoe for my right foot for 4 weeks due to the amount of swelling and pain.

It’s been approximately 2 ½ months since my first surgery. I am able to fit my foot into some of my stiletto shoes but not all. I do still feel some pain but it is usually when it is cold and raining out. I am happy that I did the surgery because now I feel a lot more confident and have already started purchasing open toe shoes.

For cutie20, I also live in New York. I love my doctor he’s been so helpful. He is one of the best podiatrists in the country, has many awards to prove it. His name is Dr. Harvey Katz and he is located on William Street by the seaport. As for cost, I was fortunate enough that my health insurance covered this whole procedure. From the statements that my insurance company has sent me, this whole procedure ranges from $8,000 to $20,000, that is including the surgical shoes, canes, crutches, etc given to you.

Hope I was helpful. I will log back in to check in to see if there are any other questions.

MizzJ, I've been a patient of Dr. Katz for over a year, and I LOVE him!! He did my right bunion in December, and it's healed beautifully. Another doctor had done my left one in 2006, and just mangled my foot. Dr. Katz corrected it last Monday. I'm in a boot and using a cane, which is always annoying, but I got to see my foot at my follow-up visit last night and it looks great!! I've sent probably a dozen people to Dr. Katz already, and they all say the same thing about him. He (and Christina, his office assistant) are just a pleasure to work with.

Hello everyone,

I can relate to you all. I have been hiding my feet for 20 years. Not only to I have rather long feet but I also have hammertoes. I have been researching my condition for years but have not had the opportunity to have the surgery yet.

I initially hid my feet from my husband like several of you. I just told him I had a deformity but I didn't say where. When I finally showed him he said they weren't that bad. (Yeah Right) However, he said if I wanted the surgery I could get it if it would make me happy.

Now I am just waiting on the right time to get the surgery done. Kudos to those of you who have already had the surgery. Based on your information I can take things into accounts such as whether or not my insurance will pay for the procedure and the amount of time I will be off of work.

Hi everyone, You don't know how relieved I am to know I not alone with this problem. I live in New York so looks of course matter and it is so hard when the summer comes around and your friends question you about why don't you go to the each with us or where flip flops and tings. I am so self-conscious about my feet. And for me to be 21 and I know I'm a beautiful women but have these atrocious feet does give me low self esteem. So I finally got up the courage to get corn removal surgery done. Yesterday I went for my consultation. I am having surgery on 7 toes. on the 20th I have my pre-op appointment to get all the medication and stuff and on June 27th is the big day for the surgery. The doc said the recovery time is 3 weeks. I plan to tell my employer I am having some other foot surgery like a displaced bone because I am to embarrassed to state the real reason. I have insurance so I don't know how much the surgery will be but doing some research I've heard it normally runs $2000 PER TOE!!! I'll keep you posted and I appreciate the rest of you sharing your stories it has really helped.

Hi luvleedimple:

I'm very strongly considering getting the same surgery done. I can completely relate to your feelings about your feet. I am an attractive woman, so people don't realize that I have nasty feet unless they see them, but it makes me so sad to have to refrain from getting open toed sandals or be able to feel free to walk aroud barefoot and feel good about the way I look from head to toe, literally.
I perform in a soul band, and a few months ago we had a gig for a company celebrating a beach-themed party. The stage had lots of sand on it, and there was pretty much sand everywhere, so the band decided we ought to perform barefoot in keeping with the style of the party. When the 9 other members of my band took their shoes off, I feel my heart sink into my stomach. I kept running to the bathroom between sets to wet my feet and cake them with dried sand to cover my corns. It was a humiliating experience.
I wish you all the best for your surgery. Please keep posting and let us know how it goes. It gives me lots of hope to hear that other people know what I'm going through!

Thanx for your interest and support. I will definitely check in and update on how everything goes. I gotta admit though I am kinda scared though. I am praying everything goes well.

OM Gosh! I can totally relate to EVERYONE that has to deal with UGLY hammertoes! I have hid my feet, and I use concealer, and/or Dermablend to cover the ugly color of the corns!
What is so bad about it is, I'm a flight attendant, and I have to wear heels and that makes my feet worse up there at 33,000 feet!

I'm going to check out Dr. Katz also.

Thank you for sharing these stories. I felt all alone with this, and like many of you, I'm attractive until you remove the Christian Louboutins.........oh dear!

skychick

OM gosh! Me too! I hate my feet, and like others here, I'm an attractive woman until the Christian Louboutin's come off... then... UGLY!

I have struggled with this horrible secret for years. Plus, I'm a flight attendant, and you can imagine how they get worse because if the heels I have to wear.
One time while in Hong Kong, some of the girls wanted to get pecicures, and massages (very cheap there), and I said I didn't want to, but they insisted, and finally there I was sitting down with the other girls taking my shoes off... It was so embarrassing, especially when the girl doing my pedicure told the other girl (in chinese) to look at my feet! I was mortified!!

Thank you for sharing your stories. I didn't realize there were other attractive young females that were going through this. Most of the time when I would read this board, it was older people, or not to sound judgmental, but there were people that were .... heavier and not active.
I'm a size 4-6, and very active.

I'm sorry you guys have to go through this too, but honestly you have no idea how sharing your stories have helped me!

I'm going to make an appointment with Dr. Katz, and check him out.

Has anyone had the injections in the bottome of your feet? (sculptra?).

Thanks again.
skychick

Hey at least I know I'm not the only one. Thank goodness. I stay with socks on when I'm around people. I got corns at a really young age. It happened due to the fact that I was told to put on shoes that were a size too small. My grandmother thought I was lying because I was complaining earlier that they were ugly. They were but they killed my feet. Mind you I was 8 then now 27 and really insecure about my feet. I don't show them to anyone. My boyfriend always tries to get me to show him my feet about he'll love me no matter what & thats minor. I could care les cause its not happening. I do modelling in fashion shows but refuse to wear open toe shoes. I really have to get my feet done. I have to check out Dr. Katz...I live in NYC also. I always go on websites trying tofind info so this really helps seeing that others can relate...

Hey guys, today I finally got the surgery done. I was so nervous my doctor's name is Kelvin Barry. He works under a very prominent doctor by the name of Abe Bushansky (I found him under my aetna's doctor search). He is located in Brooklyn. I chose him because i live in Brooklyn. He has a couple offices here. Anyways, I have to admit when I first went to one of the offices he was some tiny office and I was very skeptical. But I kept any open mind because think wasn't the main office plus there isn't that much to work with in regards to space in Brooklyn. But I must admit those skeptical thoughts went away when I got my surgery this morning. It was done at Brook Plaza Surgical Center on 5000 Ave K. It was so nice in there the people are very pleasant. And they even arrange pick ups to and from your surgery. At THEIR expense. I got surgery on 6 toes. Toes number 2,3,and 5 on both. Your big toe is consider number 1 and count on. So you can figure which toes they are. My surgery took 3 hours and I woke up with no pain. It is 5 hours later and a little pain kicked in. 1-10 I give it a 2. When I came home I immediately took the medication that is given pre-op. Cefadroxil so you dont get any infections and Hydrocodone which is a pain killer(this thing has me sooo drowsy). I'm keepmmy feet elevated which were instructed and you are not allowed to get your feet wet so I plan on wash rag bathing. I am just praying that I have a good recovery. I will keep checking back for those who have additional question. Thanx for reading.

OMG you guys Day 2 is when the pain kicks in. i give it a 8 pushing 9. It's so much harder to walk. I'm trying to stay off my feet but all the drinking is sending me to the bathroom frequently. The pain pills isn't really effective so I did what others earlier recommended and got some Advil. And it definitely worked like a charm. Brought the pain to a 3-4. Others that wrote decided to mess with their bandages but I'm not looking to remove or tamper with them until I go see my doc on July 19.

Hi again guys, Day 3 and my feet feel soooo great. Hardly no pain and have better mobility. I have been taking the antobotics along with the Advil. I'm telling you it works great. Thanx for reading and I hope I have helped those with any questions you may have had regarding this type of surgery.