Hi guys. I had hammertoe surgery on 8 toes on June 3rd. I am scared to death of the pin removal procedure. Does anyone know how painful it will be?

I have a hammer toe on my left foot. I spend most of the time disguising it with toe rings, which are inappropriate for work at a law firm, but what am I to do when people want to admire my shoes? I can't very well have that ugly toe show its face. It doesn't have hard skin or anything on top, it is simply discolored from the rest of my toe in a perfect round circle in the dead center of my third toe. Yes, I have gone as far as trying to apply cosmetics to make it blend, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I visited a doctor, he told me that it was inoperable. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Hey folks,
I had hammer toe surgery on 8 toes on 6/19/08 and I am doing fine. There is alot of numbness the first 3 days. The pain was minimal I did not take the vicadin I only used three advils. I had to work it was rough the first couple of days but getting better. The swelling shocked me but it's slowly going down. I wrap each toe daily. ( hate doing it) I did learn after the fact the healing process is 3 months. ( forgot to ask) Anyway I will be in cute sandals next summer.
Go for it with a good Dr. I used Stuart Mogul.

Hello everyone. This blog is my savior. Every one who took time - you are AMAZING! I am 30. I am despirately needing a procedure on 8 toes on both feet (2,3,4,5) I've been struggling with wide, huge and ugly feet all my life. Beautiful face and body, ungly feet give me such lack of confidence in bed, beach, summer, everywhere. Hate it! My toes are long but not curled yet since they are not rigit yet, at 30 they are still flexible, but my doc said as i age they will become rigit and painfull. I have an ugly corn on each toe and the corn is growing into a hard bony bump. Nothing i did helped reduce it. it just keeps comign back, even if I dont wear high heels, corns are still there.

I have gone for a consultation and considering doing the procedure. But i have a few questions:

1. Has anyone done two feet at same time and would you reccomend it?

2. Which way did your doc make the incision? If you shorten long toes 2,3 - then Horisontal cut makes sense to close the skin neatly. Otherwise where would the skin go if it was cut along the toe? What was the direction of your incision and how did it heal?

3. Scars. How do the scars look like compare to the corns on scale 1-10 (1 being super) after a long time of healing, say a year? Would you share some healed toes pics?

3. How much does it shorten each toe? Did it help reduce your shoe size? Did it shorten the "already short" 4,5 toes too? (with 2,3 being so long, i wear size 11 wide)

4. My 2,3 toes are taller than 1, but 4,5 are normal, does it mean 4,5 will also be shortened same as 2,3?

5. Pain or Beauty? no one anywhere on the web recomends doing the procedure for estatics, unless its painful - especially docs. But, having ugly toes is painful enough. Did everyone do it to reduce phisical pain or is there someone who did it for the beauty purposes only? Was it worth it?

6. How is the swelling after a year? Especially those who had 6-8 toes done? my understanding was, toes retain so much fluid and take longer to drain it up the legs than the rest of your body, thats why the swelling is prolonged. Please tell us, did anyone completely lost the swelling and after what time? Swelling also depends on the direction of the incision. If its cut vertically (along the toe) - less capillaries are damaged, less blood, less swelling. If cut horizontal, most swelling.

7. How is the mobilidy? Had anyone have floppy toe ever since? has anyone have a sausage toe ever since? Anyone had nerve pain chronic pain ever since? When did you restore your full excercising routine after teh procedure? Are there activities you can not do ever since?

8. Before-After pictures. Anyone who is happy with results or unhappy, would you be so kind to post some pic somewhere? Feet is everything - one wrong decision and we are ruined forever. I can not find picts anywhere. Can anuyone help?

All of your help is IMMENSELY appreciated! Please answer, please anyone who can help - THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Hello everyone. This blog is my savior. Every one who took time - you are AMAZING! I am 30. I am desperately needing a procedure on 8 toes on both feet (2,3,4,5) I've been struggling with wide, huge and ugly feet all my life. Beautiful face and body, ugly feet give me such lack of confidence in bed, beach, summer, everywhere. Hate it! My toes are long but not curled yet since they are not rigid yet, at 30 they are still flexible, but my doc said as i age they will become rigid and painful. I have an ugly corn on each toe and the corn is growing into a hard bony bump. Nothing i did helped reduce it. it just keeps coming back, even if I don’t wear high heels, corns are still there.

1. Has anyone done two feet at same time and would you recommend it?

2. Which way did your doc make the incision? If you shorten long toes 2,3 - then Horizontal cut makes sense to close the skin neatly. Otherwise where would the skin go if it was cut along the toe? What was the direction of your incision and how did it heal?

5. Pain or Beauty? no one anywhere on the web recommends doing the procedure for beauty, unless its painful - especially docs. But, having ugly toes is painful enough. Did everyone do it to reduce physical pain or is there someone who did it for the beauty purposes only? Was it worth it?

6. How is the swelling after a year? Especially those who had 6-8 toes done? my understanding was, toes retain so much fluid and take longer to drain it up the legs than the rest of your body, that’s why the swelling is prolonged. Please tell us, did anyone completely lost the swelling and after what time? Swelling also depends on the direction of the incision. If its cut vertically (along the toe) - less capillaries are damaged, less blood, less swelling. If cut horizontal, most swelling.

7. How is the mobility? Had anyone have floppy toe ever since? has anyone have a sausage toe ever since? Anyone had nerve pain chronic pain ever since? When did you restore your full exercising routine after the procedure? Are there activities you can not do ever since?

8. Before-After pictures. Anyone who is happy with results or unhappy, would you be so kind to post some pics somewhere? Feet is everything - one wrong decision and we are ruined forever. I can not find pics anywhere. Can anyone help?

9. I live in Chicago, Can anyone recommend a great doc in Chicago?

Hello all! I too have suffered from horrid feet for almost 20 yrs. I'm 29 and want to live already with out hiding my toes. I am would say I'm pretty and have an ok body after 1 child. Growing up I thought I had big feet (well to me because everyone had itty bitty feet I was only a size 5.5 by fourth grade) wanting them to be smaller so wearing ill fitting shoes was my biggest mistake. Stupid corns started.

BTW I am so relieved to hear I'm not alone with this embarrassing issue. I would love to share my whole body head to toe with the world already. I live in Nor Cal near the ocean and hardly never go with my family or friends to the beach or outings in summers. It's hard for me even to take my son out in summers because I'm so embarrassed.

I have a slight hammertoe not bad on both ring toes & one pinky right toe. Which have corns. Podiatrists have told me it's more cosmetic that I should be seeking. So I did....
So I've been researching and this is what I've found out. Theirs this new laser CO2 laser mainly used for face and body but it's a breakthrough for many types of growths and what they call lesions. It's been used for corns and it works. I haven't had the treatment done yet. It's still new so research your dermatologist to see if they are up on the newest Co2 laser treatment for corns aka (heloma) medical term. Google it with Co2 in your search there's so much info. I have a consultation in a week and I'll keep this board posted. I hope he doesn't charge an arm and leg for 5-6 centimeters of horror. I tried cryotherapy it's a method used for warts. It freezes your skin then blisters. It didn't work then researching on this forum http://www.podiatry-arena.com/ doctors say it didn't work for them. My toes blisters and look gross. The blisters supposed to scab then fall off. Not successful. Still a corn. So now I want to try the laser.
keeping fingers crossed!!

xo
Cali Chik

I also have a similar problems. Every specialist said I should give up & live with this for the rest of my life since nothing worked. When you have ugly feets & the longest toes in the world that is one thing, but that you have corns, warts etc on top of that, well you guys know how I feel! Im suprised Im not alone (totally though I was) Anyway, my husband told me that I should not give up because I was very sad. So I though I would try a little harder. I search the web & found this placed called Fairview Laser Clinic. I went for a consultation. They told me that they could easily remove all 7 corns/warst (whatever it is) by laser. My apointment is tomorrow morning! I will try to keep in touch & tell you guys how it goes.
Jo

My friends I feel your pain, literally %-) . I too, have corns on both of my feet. Three toes in total and it is soooooooo emabarrassing. I have pondered over having them removed, but I am afraid. If anyone knows of a good doctor in Chicago, IL, please do tell

I am only 18 and on the 22nd I will be having hammedtoe surgery on 4 toes. I live inthe chicago suburbs and I having been going to the foot and ankle clinics of America. They have offices all over. Google their website. They are really great!

I had three corns on both foot and got it done at the same time. It takes the same amount of recovery so I decided what the heck "let me get it over with". To be honest with you, I'm not too sure if I would recommend for others to do. Luckily I am young and healthy so I can ease the pain, but for elderely individuals over 40 no. After suregery I was fine, but the next day I was unable to walk. My doctor motivated me so 3 days later I forced myself to walk 10 minutes per day. It's been 6 months now and I still can not wear heels nor flat sandals. Any pair off shoes that I do wear must have thick comfort soles. oh and after the stitches were removed it looked weird, but please please do use miderma cream "over the counter at any pharmacy" Go ahead and purchase a larger tube "$30", it is worth it. You may need to purchase any other tube when you run out. My scars are invisible and they look great and no one can notice, however as stated earlier I still have discomfort pain at times. I did listen to doctor's order, but I felt as if he did not understany my difficulties. He expected me to wear shoes within a month, which that did not happen. It tool me almost two months to wear shoes without the medical shoes. My foot size remains half bigger and swollen at times. I spoke with others who had the surgery done and they said it took about a year and 1/2 without feeling pain anymore. Please have a close friend or relative with patient be your caretaker for at least 2 weeks and do not be around dogs who jumps. I hope this helps.
-Regarding work: I told my job I needed off for surgery, your employer will not ask, well at least they should not ask, b/c that is personel aslong as you bring in proper document stating days off from work due to surgery should be adequate. Honestly, after I got mine done, i have no problem sharing my experience. You will be amazed how many people at work, neighbor, and friend who had the same experience.
Help this helps I tried to provide as much information as possible

I am interested in getting the corn removal surgery in the next 5 years. I have three corns on my right foot and two on my left.

Can anyone out there who had corn removal/hammertoe or toe shortening surgery done by Dr. Mogul in NYC give me any information on approximate costs, and how good recovery was?
I am very active and do a lot of sports, so my concern is that I would not be able to go hiking or skiing after this surgery.

It's so frustrating to have this problem - glad to have found a forum of people who understand exactly what this is like.

Hi luvleedimple! I am strongly considering the surgery soon and I was wondering how long the full recovery took (2 months, maybe more)? And also, how are your feet a year after the surgery?

Thanx,

Phrogpheet

I had 3 toes on one foot done about 3 1/2 years ago. My insurance at the time covered the cost, but I am having two toes on the other foot done on 2/12 and they do not take the insurance I have now, but I decided to still have the surgery at the same location because I am comfortable with the staff. They usually charge $800 per toe but are giving me a discount because I had the other foot done there. It will cost me $1100 and another $300 for the anestheologist because I prefer to be put to sleep. I think the $1400 is worth it when it comes to building my self-confidence. I am really uncomfortable when it comes to showing the foot that has not been done as of yet. However, the aftermath of the surgery was very painful for the first few days but my foot healed beautifully and I'm not embaressed to try on shoes with that foot anymore. Very well worth it if you are self-conscious of showing your feet, but I suggest doing one foot at a time.

I've been consulting a doctor about the surgery and I was given a quote of $1750 (per toe) which is expensive but so worth it. I'm going to try to get the surgery done in June (they say it's best to do it during the warm months to help the healing). I hope things go well because I tried for years using home remedies and just made my feet worst. my dark corns turned into WHITE/Pink corns and on a woman of color that is not cool and I'm ready to wear flip flops and bring my feet out to get sun. Hope all goes well

I am so glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. I am so scared to show people my feet and havent. The people closest to me know, but they havent even seen my feet in such a long time, they dont even know whats going on. My husband doesnt even know. Ive just conviently have never shown them. I always wear socks and just tell people that my feet are cold all of he time ( which is mostly true). I also say that i dont like to walk bearfoot. When my husband and I take a shower together, I just ball my feet up and try to keep him distracted so he wont look down. He doesnt discuss or question me about it. I am a really pretty girl and it kills me that I have this problem. I could never wear sandles or flip flops, not even in the summer. I could never wear the latest styles. I would file them down and dye them with tanner, or put make up on them. Crazy, right? I just want to be able to have better looking feet, and be able to get a pedi. The nail shop would always ask me for a pedi with my mani and I would say no, and they would look at me funny, I just told them I do my pedi's myself. I have unconsciencely given my daughter a foot complex and she has beautiful feet. It seems like this problem affects every aspect of my life and I want to reclaim it. I have eight corns that need to be removed, Ive tried everything, even cuting them off... they just came back.